Wind River Burn Question..Alpine Lake

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wind River Burn Question..Alpine Lake

Post by robertseeburger »

I am looking at a potential backpack in Fitzpatrick Wilderness. I was thinking of a loop from St Lawrence trailhead, to Deadman Lake, Marked Tree Lake,
Milky Lakes, Photo Pass, Kavegah Pass (or Odyssey Col) and return.

I know there has been a burn in the Alpine Lake area. I looked at Googleearth and it seems like Deadman Lake is in fact surrounded by burn. Does anyone know if this has recovered? And if not, would the downed trees etc make the journey in and out of Deadman Lake overly tedious? It looks like the route from Marked Tree Lake south is ok.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wind River Burn Question..Alpine Lake

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It has not "recovered". It actually will get worse for the next 10-20 years before it gets better. I went over Windy Gap and dropped into the South Fork about a mile above Deadman Lake two years ago and most of the dead tree trunks are still standing. I pretty much skirted most of the burn. Once the tree trunks start falling it will be a maze of deadfall. I think there is a lot of deadfall near Deadman Lake already. It certainly is do-able and others have gone in, but it is not easy. The only thing that may get "better" is that the outfitter at St. Lawrence may clear the old trail to Deadman and Alpine Lake. The best information on this is to call the Federal Fish and Wildlife people in Lander. You may also want to look at my trip report.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

Thanks WD!! I was hoping you would reply...just one of the options for annual trip this year... so many areas to choose from.
I will go back and re-read your TR as well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is a photo. Bad picture but this is looking down to the South Fork (Deadman Lake off to the right) from the Windy Gap Trail. First you see the higher bench and then below the South Fork (creek hidden by the upper bench).
Panorama_Alpine Lk burn_small.jpg
Sorry, I looked at my old trip report and it does not have photos anymore because I quit using Photobucket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.