TR: Day Hike Darrington Trail

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

TR: Day Hike Darrington Trail

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Salmon Falls Trailhead at the inlet of Folsom Lake is also the starting point for a trail along the South Fork of the American River, going upstream and the Darrington Trail going along the shores of the south arm of the lake. I hiked the South Fork Trail in March but did not take photos. We went up about 5 miles to a picnic table and returned for a total trip of about 11 miles and 1700 feet gain. Yesterday I did the Darrington Trail. I looked at the trail on the internet the night before and hoped to use my memory as a map (bad idea!). Anyway, the trail sign said about 9 miles to a campground so I decided to check that out.

I started about 9:30 AM. Two women behind me soon turned back and I met three mountain bikers so I pretty much had the trail to myself. The trail snakes way back in to go around several side arms as you progress towards the main Folsom Lake. Each arm had a small stream with running water. I was keeping a steady 3.2 mph pace when I came to a junction with roads going three different directions. The trail was not well signed (as said on the internet) so I kept going straight ahead for another mile until I reached a structure (looked like a house and out buildings). My GPS watch said I had gone about 9 miles so I turned back, never reaching my goal. I was on something called "meadow" road. Later I learned that the Darrington Trail actually ends at that junction. Poison Oak as well as tall grass with ticks were abundant and I never found a good spot to stop and eat lunch, so I just walked on, nibbling as I went back on the trail.

Ended up back at my car having done 17.5 miles in 5 hours 40 minutes and 2670 elevation gain. The elevation gain is suspicious; it sure did not feel like that much. The weather was perfect, sunny and some high clouds with a nice cool breeze. I was getting a bit hot the last hour. There were a few fields of wildflowers. The trail is very well maintained and mostly nice compact dirt with a few steep hill sections that have become slightly rutted due to recent rains. The grass was its brilliant springtime yellow-green.
Darrington Trail _01_better.jpg
Darrington Trail_05best.jpg
Darrington Trail_06.jpg
Darrington Trail_08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Day Hike Darrington Trail

Post by gary c. »

So beautiful and green this year.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

Beautiful spring day hike.. nice to see some shots of day hikes in this section..!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Popcornflower, plagiobothrys nothofulvus.