Day Hike Murietta Falls 4-22-19

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Day Hike Murietta Falls 4-22-19

Post by robertseeburger »

Spring is the best time for SF Bay Area day hikes... ( my opinion) ..and it is just now heating up.
Did a quickie to Murietta Falls earlier this week.

I had been there once before..in 2016. I had forgotten what a hard hike this is. I did 3500 feet in elevation gain. ( did a little extra).
In 2016, I had a tick bite ( only time this has happened to me..) I wore long pants this time.

I saw a flock of turkeys at the base at Del Valle Reservoir last time and I saw one this time as well.
DSC01144.jpg
The hills are still very green..
DSC01146.jpg
A view back to Del Valle
DSC01147.jpg
A couple of views back to Mount Diablo
DSC01149.jpg
DSC01150.jpg
Some wild flowers were out...but starting to wane.. they were better last time I went. But still nice.. I think the season is probably over now for the sweeping carpet of yellow. But still very nice.
DSC01151.jpg
DSC01152.jpg
And lastly a photo of Murietta Falls. I expected a little more water given how much rain we have had.
DSC01155.jpg
Murietta Falls is a great early spring day hike if you want to see a Bay Area waterfall and get some elevation gain in to test yourself!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Day Hike Murietta Falls 4-22-19

Post by gary c. »

It's so much nicer when everything is so green.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR, was expecting to see it at a average to above average flow this year in April.
Berry Creek Falls in Big Basin (prettiest in the BA) is probably booming, and allows one to get some good mileage (11 miles) and elevation in.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, Murietta falls is pretty underwhelming. But I'm a huge sucker for oak grasslands, love the green hills with mistletoe on the oaks.

Alamere falls is pretty nice too if we're comparing Bay area waterfalls. Grizzly Gulch falls is also really pretty, but not as tall.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice. I was nearby at Sunol Regional Wilderness Apr 12-18 teaching geologic mapping (have done this annually since spring 2006) and on one day got a bit further east into Ohlone Wilderness but of course not very close to Murrieta falls. Yes by the time we got into April the flows in the streams had decreased quite a bit whereas the flows earlier in the year when things were raining a lot, were quite high and impressive. One of these days I need to get into Murrieta falls because I know the geology in that area and along the way would be interesting to me. Another great place to visit in the eastern Bay Area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;