Lassen national park tips ?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Lassen national park tips ?

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Hi all,
My better half is treating me to 4 days a the Drakesbad guest ranch in Lassen in a couple of weeks.
Lassen is a first for us and I was wondering if some of you might have recommendations for dayhikes - We have appetite for either long and strenuous, or short and easy, as long as the beauty unfolds :). Maybe on horseback as that might be an option, snow willing. Considering packing snowshoes just in case...
Expecting a bit of snow still at lower elevations, and a whole lot at higher elevations. Sadly It does not seem like painted dunes will be accessible.
thank you for your hinsights!!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lassen national park tips ?

Post by dave54 »

Painted Dunes would be quite an ambitious day hike from Drakesbad anyway, and driving from Drakesbad, to Chester, around the Park to the Butte Lake trailhead to Painted Dunes/Cinder Cone is a long drive one way (2.5 hours per google maps).
Not sure how many roads will be open by then.

From Drakesbad, you can hike south on the PCT to a nice overlook above Willow Lake. You can continue to the county road from Chester to Domingo Springs campground (water/restroom). Since there is no cell coverage at Drakesbad, you can get your digital fix at the overlook, check your email, post to Facebook etc. (Just kidding. Digital detox is one of the best reasons to go to Drakesbad).
From Drakesbad you can also hike to Kings Creek Falls -- 30 foot falls. Devils Kitchen is a smaller geothermal area with fumaroles and mudpots. Sifford Lakes are a collection of small glacial tarns and gets few visitors.
The hike to the top of Mt Harkness is popular. There is a lookout tower and a nice view of the Almanor Basin.
The Park brochure map shows a trail from Drakesbad to Drake Lake and the Park Boundary. The trail continues into the National Forest but is on an irregular maintenance schedule (seldom maintained). Too bad, because that old FS trail accesses some nice lakes, creeks, and meadows that get almost no visitors. Proposed Wilderness.

https://www.nps.gov/carto/app/#!/maps/alphacode/LAVO
Last edited by dave54 on Tue May 28, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Thank you Dave! For painted dunes, that's what I was looking at, driving around, but it seems that access road is under 10+ feet of snow these days. I could not help to be lured by the pretty pictures I saw. But it would be a shame to burn a precious half a day driving around. I am guessing that will have to be another trip :)
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Was going to ski Lassen Peak this weekend, but it looks to be a bit too warm. You like snowshoes?

Burney Falls is totally worth the trip.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Here is a site for the topos. (A cool site that not too many know about. Free topos for National Forest Lands.)

https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/raster ... states.php

Reading Peak and Mt Harkness quads.

Print on 8.5x11 paper and the scale is 1" = 1 mile. Photopaper makes a real clean map with no fuzziness or bleeding.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We've liked the hike to Devil's Kitchen from Drakesbad. And if you can get there (road is probably still closed). Juniper. Lake us huge and nice. You could also look at Caribou Wilderness. Tons of lakes within easy hiking distance
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963