Reports/guides for Zion Traverse, Cirque of the Towers, and Glacier North Circle

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Reports/guides for Zion Traverse, Cirque of the Towers, and Glacier North Circle

Post by jartelt »

I recently wrote up a few guides/trip reports that describe three popular backpacking routes. The hope is that the guides are useful for others planning backpacking trips to these locations. Each one has maps and photos of the trails as well as some (hopefully) useful logistical info. Anyways, here they are in case anyone is interested!

1) Zion Traverse in Zion National Park - this ~50 mile route traverses almost the entirety of Zion NP from Kolob Canyons to the East Rim Trailhead. Along the way you get to see many of the highlights of Zion.
https://backpackers-review.com/trip-rep ... ckpacking/

2) North Circle route in Glacier National Park - another ~50 mile loop, this route travels through a scenic region of Glacier National Park. Permits can be hard to get, but the scenery is awesome.
https://backpackers-review.com/trip-rep ... ckpacking/

3) Cirque of the Tower in Wind River Range, WY - This is a 45 mile loop that circumnavigates the Cirque of the Towers mountains. A great alternative to the Teton Crest Trail if you can't get permits for that!
https://backpackers-review.com/trip-rep ... ind-river/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Reports/guides for Zion Traverse, Cirque of the Towers, and Glacier North Circle

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As a guidebook author (off-trial guide to the Wind Rivers), I only have one "criticism" so take this as intended to be helpful.

I would not include such a detailed equipment list. Just because it is what you use it is not necessarily applicable to others. Particularly with brand name gear. My gear brands are very different from yours; more high-end an a lot lighter. Rather, keep the equipment list general.

Instead, describe the weather conditions that you would encounter and let others make their own decisions. For example, severe late day thunderstorms with a lot of wind is one condition you need to be prepared for. Probable maximum and minimum temperatures different times of the backpack season. It appears that you did your Wind River trip late season; information on what is needed other times would be helpful. Stream crossing conditions (a lot of wading early season).
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Reports/guides for Zion Traverse, Cirque of the Towers, and Glacier North Circle

Post by jartelt »

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding the gear list, I have received mixed feedback. At first I did not include it in my reports because I figured there were enough other gear lists out there that people could find. But, I started to get questions/requests from beginners who wanted to know what I packed. Ultimately, I figured I would just list it out and then people can ignore if they don't care. I totally get your point though!