Day hikes near Benton.. White Mountains?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Day hikes near Benton.. White Mountains?

Post by maiathebee »

Hello friends! I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for hikes near Benton Hot Springs. I'm interested in day hikes of all lengths, from full days to short jaunts. I go there pretty regularly and am looking to explore more than just scrambling the jumbled rock pile up the hill above the springs. I've driven through the White Mountains a few times but never hiked there. I know there are some serious long hikes there (White, Boundary, Montgomery), but are there any rewarding shorter ventures? I'm headed with a group for Thanksgiving and we won't have time to do a full day I don't think. Also, it's November! ha. Open to any and everything ya can send my way! Thanks in advance :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Day hikes near Benton.. White Mountains?

Post by bobby49 »

In the White Mountains, one of my hikes goes to the Molly Gibson Gold Mine. It is probably not of interest unless you like old gold mines.

Starting from Highway 168 about 2.5 miles north of the White Mountain Road, you park and hike north (uphill) into Molly Gibson Canyon on the old jeep road (7S13). About three miles in you find the old mining camp. Just beyond, you see three or more adits.

Alternatively, if the Grandview Campground is open, you park there and hike overland to the canyon and the mine. NOTE: carry plenty of water. Don't ask me how I know that.

However, my favorite season for this hike is around the end of July when the high desert flowers are in bloom.
Last edited by bobby49 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Winter storm warning in the White Mountains this Tue-Wed. Just a little snow. Too far out to be very certain, but some weather forecasts show rainy/snowy Thanksgiving weekend.

I have done Glass Mountain. It is a nice hike with a good view of the Sierra. We did it July so it was a snow climb. Not sure what it would be like in November. There is a fair road to a campground (closed in Nov) nears Sawmill Meadow. It is about a mile and half to Glass Mtn. with 1800 feet gain.

Closer is Queen Canyon, a route to Boundary Peak from the north. You do not have to go all the way up. I have not been on that route. I climbed Boundary Peak from the east side up Trail Canyon. This was a pretty hike but a long drive in with few signs. I thought I was lost all the way in!

Indian Canyon and Leidy Canyon on the east side also have trails part way up. But when you get to the end of the canyons it is a super steep rough hike to get up to Chatovitch or Perry Aiken Flats. Wrong time of year too. These hikes are basically early summer or spring hikes when the streams would have water.

Personally, I think going down to Big Pine and then doing the standard tourist hike from the White Mountain Visitor Center into the Bristlecone Forest (4. 5 miles) would be more appropriate. Also, look at my trip report on east side road trip. Alabama Hills were great. The hike up to the "Stone House" in Tuttle Creek was very nice too. We stayed at Tuttle Creek Campground (BLM) - very scenic and nice.

What about Shelter Cove- day hikes on the Lost Coast.
torpified
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by torpified »

If you like the incongruity of industrial relics in the outback: Black Eagle Camp/Champion Spark Plug Mine. TH is down a series of dirt roads (not Prius friendly) that emanate from 6, about 20 miles out of Benton. It's ~2 miles one way and A LOT of up to the camp; another (sketchier) mile+, with even more up, to the mine.

(If you like the incongruity of industrial relics in the outback AND you're going to the ancient bristlecone pine forest ---consider adding the Mexican mine mount to the standard (and totally amazing) 4.5 mile loop. It features some miners' cabins constructed from (wait for it --- but not as long as the materials did) ancient bristlecone pines! (Also tack on the shorter loop from the visitor center, which is bracingly well curated as the result---if you do it backwards, you discover this at the end --- of a behest.))
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks, y'all! I'll explore some of these and report back :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love