Hiking in town during "social distancing"

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in town during "social distancing"

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Every community is different. Since I only visit the Bay Area, do not live there, to me, it seems really cramped and crowded. I would expect stricter rules there. If the estimate of need to stay home into June holds, I am going to get pretty tired of the same urban hikes! I do have some nearby options, as long as they do not start impounding cars parked near trailheads. Then I would have to camp in my back yard to get my backpack fix.

Yes, lethality and communicability are different. But the point of the closures is to spread out the cases over time so the medical system does not get overwhelmed. Those who spread and get mild cases still impact those who would get more severe cases, ending up in hospitals. A lot of us are going to get it eventually, and probably will be fine. Although just getting the thing, suffering a few weeks, and then get over it may be preferable for those with no underlying health factors, it is about protecting others. You would be amazed at how many Americans DO have underlying conditions (some as the consequence of our relatively unhealthy lifestyles and poverty).
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

From NYT today:
The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.

From a policy perspective, we need to consider that not all exposures to the coronavirus may be the same. Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hourlong train commute.

This may seem obvious, but many people are not making this distinction. We need to focus more on preventing high-dose infection.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/opin ... e=Homepage
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Grand Canyon NP was just closed.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

More on aerosol transmission and some insights on why both the beach and the ocean may be more of a threat than we think:
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... os-angeles
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:37 pm Grand Canyon NP was just closed.
This is terrible. How can I have my goat yoga class there?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Every spring, in Yosemite, Grand Canyon and any other national park with cliffs, there are a rash of "death by selfies". At least a few will be spared from that! Speaking of goats, I walked yesterday and a neighbor had baby goats in their yard; they were so cute. I see more animals on my urban walks than in the wilderness- goats, chickens both domestic and those that have gone wild, horses, geese, ducks, rattlesnakes, wild turkeys, coyotes, all sorts of birds feeding in the river, squirrels (we have a couple of unusual black squirrels in our neighborhood). Unfortunately, my favorite lizard that used to hide inside my house, is now where to be seen- probably eaten since we rescued a cat a year ago.

Just a note- ticks are out so if you go walking in brush check your self and your pets.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Still more evidence about aerosol transmission:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/a ... index.html
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We're walking around town...today 7-8 miles along the river. It's a paved trail, but goes through some pleasant terrain. But nary a hill to climb.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Loved the TR and photos WD. Been doing the same thing around here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

A few more photos from my town walks.
Lupe in flowers.jpg
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
Turkey_Small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.