Hiking in town during "social distancing"

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in town during "social distancing"

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are you still allowed to day-hike at Point Reyes? For example, the trail from Five Brooks to Wildcat Beach is not used much.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking in town during "social distancing"

Post by LMBSGV »

You can hike anywhere in Pt. Reyes. The problem is you have to get to the trailhead on your own power. You are not allowed to drive to the trailhead unless you have a disabled placard or plate. Otherwise I'd be be going to Kehoe Beach and Abbot's Lagoon, which has a spectacular wildflower display this time of year. Then there's Chimney Rock and its wildflowers. Plus all the trails, such as the meadow below Mt. Witternberg. Here's the pertinent part of the official announcement:
Access to trails, beaches, and restrooms (excluding the Bear Valley Visitor Center restrooms) is only available if readily accessible by foot, bicycle, or other non-motorized means for the purpose of engaging in essential activities including outdoor exercise as defined in the March 31, 2020, Shelter in Place Order and Parks Additional Closure Order. Access of park facilities shall be by non-motorized means, except that disabled individuals with vehicles possessing current and valid Disabled Person (DP) Parking Placards or DP License Plates may continue to access park facilities by motorized means to engage in outdoor exercise as an essential activity.
It's really a shame. You can't even go to the picnic area at Bear Valley. This time of year, my wife and I go there for dinner on weekdays nearly every week and usually have the entire place to ourselves.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com