Sky Lakes Wilderness?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sky Lakes Wilderness?

Post by kpeter »

I am looking for a good destination halfway between me in the Bay Area and my brother in Washington State, and came across Sky Lakes Wilderness just west of Klamath Falls in southern Oregon. Anyone been there? The PCT goes through it, there are 3 lake basins--it looks quite interesting.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sky Lakes Wilderness?

Post by oleander »

Never been there, but what I've heard hasn't been all that enthusiastic.

Some other nice destinations might be (from S-N) the Marble Mountains, Diamond Peak Wilderness, or Three Sisters Wilderness.

What's the timing?

- Oleander
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Lots of the Sky Lakes burned a few years ago. Mostly in the south end below Isherwood and Heavenly Twin Lakes. North of these lakes, look at Lake Margurette, which is accessed from the east side, along Klamath Lake. Sky Lakes is a much gentler landscape compared to the High Sierra.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

How much time would you have for the trip? And the dates? Where in Washington? If close to Olympic NP, I would go there, although it is not "between" Bay area and most of Washington.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:13 pm How much time would you have for the trip? And the dates? Where in Washington? If close to Olympic NP, I would go there, although it is not "between" Bay area and most of Washington.
Yeah, can I second Washington state? There are no more mountainy mountains in the lower 48. Enchantments, Sahale Arm, Tatoosh Range. Lots of stuff on my list there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:37 pm
Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:13 pm How much time would you have for the trip? And the dates? Where in Washington? If close to Olympic NP, I would go there, although it is not "between" Bay area and most of Washington.
Yeah, can I second Washington state? There are no more mountainy mountains in the lower 48. Enchantments, Sahale Arm, Tatoosh Range. Lots of stuff on my list there.
If it were me, I'd spend a few days in Washington instead as well. I guess I'm thirding it?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Before counting on Washington, you need to check out the permit issues due to COVID-19. Rainier and Olympic are National Parks so they may be a permit mess. It has been so long since I backpacked in Washington, that I so not know much about permits.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

And if you are a wimpy California kid like me, before counting on Washington, you need to check the weather forecast! Hiking in the rain with low clouds obscuring the peaks is quite common there, and not fun for me.
-Phil
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thanks all for your input! My brother and I decided to circumnavigate the Three Sisters in late July. I have been there once before but not to see those magnificent volcanoes from all sides.

For my June trip I am headed solo to the Marble Mountains, discussed in another thread.

As for Washington State backpacking, I have done quite a few trips with my brother, including the Olympics, Alpine Lakes wilderness, and Rainer. For this trip I was looking for something that did not require long driving or difficult permits given the Covid situation. Three Sisters is 8 hours away for me, but at least I would not be starting the hike at high elevation. And no reservations required.

Again, thank you for your advice!