Advice/ideas out of Big Sandy TH (Wind River)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice/ideas out of Big Sandy TH (Wind River)

Post by oddtiger »

I'm gonna take my daughters (5yo and 7yo) to do a loop out of Big Sandy TH in Wind River Range in mid-Aug, thanks to the school closure... We are pretty flexible and plan to spend 5 days on this loop: Big Sandy TH - Dads Lake - Shadow Lake - Lonesome Lake - Big Sandy Lake - TH, either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the weather condition (to get better view at Lonesome Lake).

It's their first backpacking trip out of CA, but they have done more than a dozen backpacking trips with me in the past 2.5 years in Sierra, and are well adapted to different terrain including some off-trail exploration. 4-8 miles a day on the trail is normal to both girls if the elevation gain/terrain is not too tough.

Is there a place like HST to look up information of Wind River Range? I don't see much difficulty on this well-traveled loop but would like to see if there is additional advice or places to visit along the loop. I also want to see if there is any recommendation on fishing along the loop (or nearby).

Best, Andy