Trip Report Wyoming 1 9/17/20 to 9/20/20

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report Wyoming 1 9/17/20 to 9/20/20

Post by robertseeburger »

Well...the sierras were calling to me but the fires did me in.
I have done one wind river trip per year for the last 4 years, partly just to experience a new range, partly for the fishing.
If you have read my prior posts on these trips, I ranked my golden trout fishing experience an F, and my cutthroat trout experience an A.

My wind river backpacking friend had to cancel our annual (August) this year so I went to the sierras instead, with a great trip around the Ritter Range.
I had given up hope of a Wind trip this year. And I had a really big solo trip planned in Kings Canyon. I have done at least one Kings Canyon trip each year for the last 5 or 6 years, but this year nothing so far. ( I have done one Sequoia, one John Muir Wilderness, and one Ansel Adams/Yosemite, but no Kings Canyon.). I have had a running joke with another HST member that we always seem to plan to go to Ionian Basin, but never seem to make it. So this year, I had permit in hand, with a departure date of 9/9 for a grand odyssey through Kings Canyon, including finally getting to Ionian Basin. I watched the Creek Fire with interest but not alarm on 9/6 and 9/7--even talking with Bishop ranger station. I watched the incredible build up on 9/7 of smoke. My backpack was packed..but finally on 9/8 in the morning I decided to cancel. 6 hours later, my permit was canceled. My wife gave me points for canceling BEFORE I was told to cancel. My friend Gary also had a trip planned with his friends in John Muir Wilderness and his trip was cancelled as well.

So, after monitoring the situation for a couple of days, and finally realizing that the Sierra trips just weren't happening in 2020, Gary and I hatched a plan...go to Wyoming for two trips..first a 4 day trip in the Winds and then a separate 6 day trip.

The first trip went to an isolated lake. 2 days in, one layover, one day out.
There had been a big snowstorm over Labor Day..and there was still residual snow at the trailhead as we started out.
1 (37).jpeg
Waterfalls were flowing..and fall was in the air..
1 (88).jpeg
1 (87).jpeg
Fishing started off slowly..
I caught 1 nice 18 incher ...and Gary none in the first several hours.. we commiserated...and decided to keep trying.
1 (38).jpeg
Late in the afternoon, fishing heated up..Gary also caught an 18 incher.
1 (39).jpeg
And then he caught a massive 19 incher..
1 (40).jpeg
Gary and I both like to take pictures of our big fish..quickly catch and release..wet hands. We also like seeing pictures from others. We note how other pictures are artificially enhanced by holding the fish close to the camera, making you think the fish is bigger than it really is. We were both engineers ( actually Gary was research physicist, but close enough) and we both believe in facts rather than enhancement, but just for fun, here is his fish, with the enhanced version. Same fish! Just for fun.
1 (41).jpeg
I wound up catching another 18 incher that day.
1 (44).jpeg
And Gary also caught another 18 incher that day.
1 (45).jpeg
Another enhancement of same fish..
1 (46).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Re: Trip Report Wyoming 1 9/17/20 to 9/20/20

We kept fishing the next day..

I have always dreamed of catching a 20 inch golden. I have had two close calls. I caught a 19 1/2 inch golden in 2015 (posted a TR in HST).
I tried to make it 20 inches in my mind.. I even pinched the tail a little..but it wasn't 20 inches. In the winds a couple of years ago, I caught a massive 22 inch trout, which I thought was a golden. In my haste to snap a quick picture and then release, I never looked in detail. But afterward Wandering Daisy correctly pointed out that while it looked like a golden, it was in fact a Yellowstone cutthroat. (Clear cut marks on jaw)..hmm so I was back to never having caught a 20 inch golden. Been searching for that fish for 40 years..

I finally caught one here..
1 (85).jpeg
And then I caught another one..this one was much more massive..estimate 4 pounds? Best golden of my life..

1 (86).jpeg
And Gary caught a couple nice ones.. here is one more. different coloration.
1 (47).jpeg
And another "enhanced" view of the same fish...hey we were just having fun! We are really just poking fun at people who distort their pictures.
1 (48).jpeg
We had success on and off during the layover day. Then the winds came in the next morning..even made it hard to pack up..and we got out of there in a hurry...End of a short and sweet part 1 of our trip. Part 2 to come..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Them is some massive golden trout!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fish4gold »

Congratulations on an epic trip and the best golden of a lifetime!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So what worked better (for both of your trips)? Fly or spin? I am glad you had good weather; unusually warm September this year.

There is some good roadside fishing along the way from your first trip location to second. When I lived in Lander we fished roadside a lot, including fishing reservoirs using bow-and-arrow (string attached) from a canoe!

To return west, a really nice scenic drive is over Beartooth Pass via Cody and then south through Yellowstone and Tetons.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great photos of some truly massive goldens. Sounds like the trek over to Wyoming was well worth it. Thanks for sharing!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 am So what worked better (for both of your trips)? Fly or spin? I am glad you had good weather; unusually warm September this year.

There is some good roadside fishing along the way from your first trip location to second. When I lived in Lander we fished roadside a lot, including fishing reservoirs using bow-and-arrow (string attached) from a canoe!

To return west, a really nice scenic drive is over Beartooth Pass via Cody and then south through Yellowstone and Tetons.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 am So what worked better (for both of your trips)? Fly or spin? I am glad you had good weather; unusually warm September this year.

Hmm.. which worked better spinners or flies? Answer is both worked well. But long periods of time when neither worked either. Then a flurry of activity. Fishing for goldens.. to me it is often more about being at the right place at the right time than any given approach. If you find the right place, you can catch fish with the fly you dragged behind your car on the drive to the trailhead or the oldest lure in your box. If you are there are there at the wrong time you might swear the lake is barren. Gary is only flies, and I am predominantly spinners ( some willingness to switch to flies if flies are working and spinners not..which happens sometimes.). We have backpacked a lot together now, and often fish side by side or in close proximity..with the lead person advising the trailing person how to approach a spot if the lead person has seen a fish that he does not catch. This seems to be effective sometimes.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Awesome Gold!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Very nice!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
brandoge
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brandoge »

Those are some massive goldens! Great photos, looks like a fun trip