Henry Coe fire - interesting article

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Henry Coe fire - interesting article

Post by oleander »

This made me feel a little bit better about the massive fire that burned in Henry Coe and adjacent areas.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/16/ ... ent=manual
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Henry Coe fire - interesting article

Post by c9h13no3 »

oleander wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:02 pm This made me feel a little bit better about the massive fire that burned in Henry Coe and adjacent areas.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/16/ ... ent=manual
Agreed. Went on a hike there this past weekend. The park feels a lot more crowded with only a small percentage of it open. Usually I see no one there, saw maybe 8 people out on the trails.

The fire did seem low intensity too. Almost all the trees in the burned zone still had green tops. I also saw at least 11 wild boar in the park, and it sounded like many more. Coe is an underrated park. The winter & spring bike packing there is pretty solid.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a 5-day, 60-mile trip in 2006 to climb a county high point on the northeast boundary. It was very lush and forested- lots of pines. Then nearly the entire park burned a year or two later. I have been back several times since and it still has not fully recovered from that fire up in the northeast where I think the fire was more intense. I do hope things recover better this time. Totally agree- Henry Coe park is underrated. Henry Coe, Lost Coast and Point Reyes are my go-to areas for off-season multi-day backpacks.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

"Next spring “should be a banner year” for orange California poppies, purple fields of lupine and others, a recent state parks report concluded."

Actually that will be true only in places where there are seed beds for such that also points at locations where there tend to be some of those specific wildflowers every year. Thus in limited places where one normally sees many wildflowers of specific species that benefit from ash, it is there that there is likely to be an extraordinary bloom while other places, which is the majority of the land in the park that each spring just have sparse numbers of flowers or with species that don't benefit from fires, there will only be somewhat more than there normally is that won't amount to anything notable. Lupine, goldfields, filaree, and poppies are species that do react so however the majority of those lands, especially beneath shady oak woodlands, have few flowers of any species as anyone that has explored that park or others in the Coast Range are aware of. In many of the grasslands, alien European grasses for cattle grazing have so dominated lands for two centuries, that our native California herbs have been pushed out of existence except in limited areas with serpentine and canyon bottom lands with richer soils.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_ ... .html#may2