Trinity Alps bear attack story

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
SCandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trinity Alps bear attack story

Post by SCandy »

Saw this on my phone feed. Interesting story in that a somewhat "innocent" encounter with a young startled bear can get pretty crazy.
From SF Gate. Don't know them.
Not sure if it's old news by now.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks ... 952204.php
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trinity Alps bear attack story

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It happened last August and I am sure some news reports had been out then, but I never saw anything, so thanks for the post.

It also appears that the bear was startled more than anything else, since if it wanted to "attack" it could have before the incident. It is a good reminder to assume animals are around all the time and avoid sudden movements, and to carry a PLB devise. The trek back to his truck was quite the ordeal and easily could have gone wrong.
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LincolnB »

"Got slapped by a bear" might be a better description than "Bear attack". Helluva slap though
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Well, at least he got to see bear. ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

When I worked in Yosemite managing the village store. Before work sometimes I'd go for a climb, a hike, a run, a scramble, something to help keep the sanity. It seemed we were all looking to find our own little secret spots. I had a few favorites, but in this one particular spot scrambling into my spot I ran into a buck one time, just sitting there, enjoy the quietness. Then another time a bear and I ran into each other, he hopped on one rock, I hopped on another. He gave me this silly look, like why did you scare me. Very innocent. This story reminding me of all those times in Yosemite. Glacier was a different beast all together, sooo much wildlife!