Trinity Alps Wilderness in N. Calif. is closed until Nov 15, 2021

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trinity Alps Wilderness in N. Calif. is closed until Nov 15, 2021

Post by wildhiker »

Found this on the inciweb page for the Monument fire in northern California:
The Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Klamath National Forest, and Six Rivers National Forest have announced a cooprehensive three-forest closure of the Trinity Alps Wilderness Area. The order is effective on August 11, 2021 and will extend through November 15, 2021. View the Forest Closure Order (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 939790.pdf) and Forest Closure Order Map (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 939848.pdf).
The Monument Fire is burning along the Trinity River and a bit into the south edge of the Wilderness. The "River Complex 2021" fire is burning along the South Fork Salmon River and a bit into the north edge of the Wilderness.

So if the Sierra gets too smoky for you, the Trinity Alps are no longer an alternative for the rest of the 2021 season.

-Phil
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trinity Alps Wilderness in N. Calif. is closed until Nov 15, 2021

Post by texan »

Thanks WH for the info.

Texan
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Maybe the Lost Coast is all we have left. sigh..

A note as having been in the area, 101 and 299 are under heavy construction resulting in delays.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

Looking at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ the fires have now burned on the west side of Caribou Lake and the trailhead from the north to Grizzly Lake. Not good. I'm kicking myself for not going to the Trinities in June.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

And now it's not just the Trinity Alps Wilderness and Marble Mountains Wilderness that are closed to the public, but all the national forests in northern California - until at least Sept. 6. See Maverick's post at
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 30#p167937

How much longer before they close all public lands in the whole state because of "fire danger"?

-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

wildhiker wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:52 pm And now it's not just the Trinity Alps Wilderness and Marble Mountains Wilderness that are closed to the public, but all the national forests in northern California - until at least Sept. 6. See Maverick's post at
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 30#p167937

How much longer before they close all public lands in the whole state because of "fire danger"?

-Phil
Yeah, a lot of these closures strike me as big over-reaches. My guess is that they can't really enforce the campfire bans or keeping people from driving cars over dry vegetation, so they just make it easy on themselves and tell everyone to go home.

The Caldor fire closure, for example, extends almost to Ebbetts Pass, when the fire is still north of HWY88. Not that I want to go near any of these places with all the smoke right now, but these closures usually extend longer than necessary. The most egregious was the Sobranes fire closure in Big Sur (multiple years!).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

When we got the evacuation notice we packed up the RV and headed to our daughter's home. Were there a week, the decided the heck with this. Why sit in the smoke and heat commiserating with all the fire refugees when we could go elsewhere? So we went to Utah. I am sitting in my RV now, on the banks of the Provo River, waiting for the thunderstorm to end so I can get my fly rod a workout. Probably head up into the Uintas tomorrow and hike in to some backcountry lakes.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nicely done, Sir!