Tale of Survival - Boundary Peak

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Tale of Survival - Boundary Peak

Post by rightstar76 »

I remember seeing something about this in the Missing Persons section last July (another sar). However, this in-depth feature story really hits home: pictures, maps, interviews, etc. Definitely worth reading.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/20 ... speration/
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Tale of Survival - Boundary Peak

Post by balzaccom »

An amazing story. Thank you for this.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

An amazing story. Thank you for this.
X2.

So smart to hang out by the creek. He very likely would not have lived if he had not returned to stay by water on day 4.

"For 2½ hours, Bolen walked down the road. There were no trees. No shade. No signs of life. His gait slowed. He pulled his rain jacket out and turned it inside out to the white side, wearing it over his black T-shirt to provide some cover from the sun.
As sweat poured down his face and his water dwindled, he stopped. Maybe this isn’t a good idea, he thought. At least he had a stream back at the clearing. And shade. He felt woozy, like he was nearing heatstroke.
He turned and walked back a few hundred yards, then stopped again. Three times, he reversed course, agonizing over which way to go. Finally, he walked the 2½ hours back to the clearing.
"
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

While one could nitpick about different decisions, I am impressed that the hiker went well prepared with water and good enough clothes to survive at night. The major surprises for me are the lack of good maps/gps; not staying in one place once water was found; and not using fire sooner, for both warmth but also visibility to rescuers. Obviously, a rescue beacon would have changed everything as well. The slightly less charitable view is that a guy like this who hikes remote peaks alone places rescue people in unnecessary danger when he does not carry GPS on his cell phone. Fortunately he made enough correct decisions to stay alive. I hope that I never find myself in a similar situation.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

It's behind a pay wall for me.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

There`s a guy who has some great friendships.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done three trips in the White Mountains, one where I climbed Boundary Peak. If you have not been in the White Mountains on the Nevada side, you have no idea how gnarly travel is. It is easy to get disoriented. Conditions are harsh. I think internet "guides" like "all trails" tend to downplay the difficulties. With extensive mountaineering experience, Boundary Peak is not that difficult, but for the average backpacker/novice it can be very challenging. In my opinion, the White Mountains are more difficult than the Sierra, mainly because there is such a scarcity of water, winds can be brutal and it is very steep. I am glad the fellow survived.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

@Jimr
Here is a link to the original article that is not behind a paywall. Unfortunately only 3/4 of the article is displayed.
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/san-fra ... 3574518961

These three links are additional, somewhat shorter, original content stories of the incident, that tell the story to its conclusion.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/articl ... ar-AAN4ntb
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/20 ... 459428001/
http://bartlesvilleradio.com/pages/news ... ountaintop

Classic story of a cascading string of errors, it is amazing this didn't end in serious tragedy:
  • Underestimated the demanding nature of a hike over such terrain during that time of year.
  • No map, compass or GPS.
  • Failed to listen to his body, got over extended, to the point of delirium and exhaustion.
  • He had the means to carry a bit over a gallon of water, but given the distance, weather and mountain, 1½ - 2 gallons probably would be advisable.
  • Fell off trail, then wandered astray off trail, then failed to retrace his steps to the last known location of the trail.
  • Failed to assure he knew what the way back looked like.
  • Inability to start a fire for warmth and signaling. Did not know how to use his flint steel. Did not consider using his shoe laces to make a bow drill.
  • SAR crashes a helicopter while conducting participating the search; fortunately everyone survives that mishap.
As you shift through the account, it is apparent Bolen's grip on reality was distorted. He reports distances covered that coincide with what a rested person would cover in the time that lapses, but on the map he is actually moving at a snail's pace. Distorted time/space perceptions often occur in extreme exhaustion.

I think the articles had some factual errors. One article states Bolen ended up at a TH located at the end of the Chiatovich Road. The evidence indicates otherwise. Based on the illustration showing Boundary Peak, his intended route passes through Trail Canyon Saddle, along a trail originating just south of Kennedy Point. On the way back he deviates before passing through Trail Canyon Saddle. The illustration indicates he strayed in an easterly direction. Bolen's friend, Dr. James Webb, states they found him at a trailhead south of Boundary Peak. Boland states he wandered quite some distance down the road leading from the TH where he was eventually located. While Chinatovich Road fits these descriptions, so does another road: Middle Creek Road. I believe Middle Creek road is where Bolen ended up, because it is within the watershed of the Boundary Peak Massif. Chiatovich Creek, on the other hand does not drain any part of the Boundary Peak watershed, and would require Bolan to scale a major ridgeline further south and descend into another canyon to reach Chiatovich Road.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Gogd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:13 am I think the articles had some factual errors. One article states Bolen ended up at a TH located at the end of the Chiatovich Road. The evidence indicates otherwise.
The original SF Chronicle article reports that Bolen was found on Middle Creek Road/Trail, aka Forest Service Road 1S58 (mislabled as 1558). Unfortunately, the pressreader.com excerpt cuts off just before this portion of the article. Middle Creek Road joins Chiatovich Road well before Chiatovich Road meets the paved highway, so it's not too surprising that other articles make that mistake.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

@@druid
Thanks for the clarification! The other articles were authored around the same time as the SF Chronicle - one would assume those authors read the unabridged version of the Chronicle's article. It just goes to show how a story can vary as it gets passed around and retold by others.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.