Mill Canyon B-25 Crash Site Photos

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Mtflyer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Mill Canyon B-25 Crash Site Photos

Post by Mtflyer »

Visited another aircraft crash site. After doing a few days of research on this crash decided to see if I could locate it. This B-25 went down in Mill Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains on 7/22/60 while fighting a fire. The crew of three didn’t survive the crash. The aircraft was a World War 2 bomber converted for fire fighting use. Figured I had about a 20% chance of finding the plane with the info I had, but hiked straight to it. Got really lucky with this one. It was only a half mile hike to reach the crash site. Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/album/528614454qjFfha
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Mtflyer...Gosh...that is so sad..so many years ago & still all the wreckage of it still just laying there. Must be kinda of both interesting and a bit emotional to come across these crash sites, especially the really old ones like this one. Years ago I came across what looked to me and my friends like a piece of a plane wing...it was in a very remote location...it was just laying there on a wide open mountain slope & there was only that one piece & nothing else around..can't figure it out as to what happened.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Mtflyer, Ever heard of a military crash site near Farewell Gap in Mineral King? Supposedly on the south side of the pass? Kind of a round about rumour from NPS folks in SEKI. I heard about this in the late 70's. Possibly a jet out of Lemoore.
Mtflyer
Founding Member

Post by Mtflyer »

No, haven't heard about that. One thing I've found out is that there are hundreds of aircraft crash sites in the mountains of California.