Show the trash you packed out

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Show the trash you packed out

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Those tent stakes are not trash! What a great find. That is the way I get a lot of my tent stakes.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I agree--although we've found so many of those tent stakes that we once left a complete set at the backcountry ranger's cabin in Hockett Meadows near Mineral King...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

A week ago a trip around Mt Senger out of Florence Lake:
DSC51506-small.jpeg
DSC51507-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

A 5 day trip last week. Duck Pass (this time explored some lakes NE off the trail before crossing the pass), Purple Lake, Lake Virginia, cross country to the valley with creek and lakes NW of Cecil Lake, Cecil Lake, Lee Lake, circle south of peak 11652' near some small lakes, the valley under McGee Pass near the trail, many lakes south and west of Tully Lake, Cotton Lake, Izaak Walton Lake, Horse Heaven, and out on the trail.

I also found Nemo.
DSC51509-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I find and carry out the coins that I find, typically around campsites. My average is about 37 cents per trip.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Monarch divide tip last week, 5 days.
DSC51511-small.jpeg
DSC51513-small.jpeg

Some trash not packed out but carried only part way:

Found long underwear at a lake in lower Granite Basin and found some cloth at Granite Lake. Carried them to the junction of the trail to Granite lake and left them there facing the way out. I put a small rock on them so they don't get blown away. I wasn't sure I was going to go back that way. I ended up not going back that way.
IMG_0894-small.jpg

Also found a glass jar at Volcanic lakes. I left it at the junction of the trail to Kennedy Pass for someone to pack it out. Closer to the the end of my hike I pack out heavier trash.
IMG_1079-small.jpg
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

No photos, but on my last trip out of LLV I packed out the upper 2/3rds of a hiking pole with the handle chewed on (found partially tucked under a rock at 13,000 feet -- odd) and an old Red Stripe beer bottle with the wrapper long worn away, in addition to the usual microtrash found at campsites.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I found a t-shirt draped across a rock on a recent backpack a few weeks ago. It was soaked (it had rained hard during our trip) but still fully intact, so probably had been accidentally forgotten by a hiker earlier in the season. I brought it home and washed it, and since it's my size I added it to my rotation of shirts.

SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

LLV last week. This is one of my favorite campsites here and it was occupied so found another site a couple hundred yards away. Later in the day saw that it was empty, but not entirely:
_DSC1080.jpg
How do you miss a 5 gallon ziplock...

I didn't pack this one out (from Gem Lakes), but what's up with this:
Ember.jpg
-------------
Dave | flickr
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Mylar balloons on almost every trip I take. Otherwise broken glass, bits of foil and wrappers, and rusted food cans from the days of yore are most of my hauls. Found several broken trekking poles along the trail, and a broken ski, deep in the Sierra interior. Southern Kern I came upon two outfitter camps on the Rincon Trail that were as much middens as gear stashes, enough stuff that a pack train would be required to remove all of the mess. Disgusting! On the south shore of Hilton Lake we came upon an abandoned camp, complete with a shredded tent, some kitchen wares and soft goods. Could not determine if the camp was evacuated for some reason, or if the shredded tent happened before or after being abandoned. We took what we could, but the bulk was more than we could stash/lash to our pack.

Found arrow heads along various lake shores and mountain passes, abandoned gear from the Calvary patrols, mining, outfitter and herder relics - but I guess really old trash gets redefined as artifacts. We left these as we found them...

Ed
I like soloing with friends.