Markskor

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Markskor

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Mav and Greg, for sharing some of Mark's art-- both visual and literary. Damn, I'd forgotten what a great writer he was too; great stories.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

This is such a horrible, sad shock. As Harlen said, thank you Mav and Greg for posting his marvelous art and wonderful stories. Regrettably, I never got to meet him. I was planning on stopping at Tuolumne to say hello more than once on my way home, but circumstances always prevented it. I will miss his wit and ability to cut through to the essence on any and all subjects.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I was fortunate to meet Markskor this June on the second day of the Tuolumne store opening; he certainly did not evince any evidence of a person facing death. That says something.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Can someone post a link to his thousand island lake lunker story. Pure gold!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I first came into contact with Mark on a now defunct fishing site. He is actually the one that introduced me to HST. I had just started backpacking and he had posted many of his "Solo Backpacking Adventures" on the other site (highly recommend). When I was ready for my first weeklong trek I contacted Mark here through PM's. He helped me plan everything for my first hike in Yosemite. Destination to trails, permits, and campsites, even where to park and how to plan for the YARTS bus. The following year he did the same thing again.

I only met him once. A couple years ago my wife and I had just dropped off our truck in the valley and were riding the YARTS back to Mammoth to start our next days hike. When we stopped at the store in Tuolumne Mark got on and I recognized him immediately from his pictures here. I went and introduced myself and we chatted all the way to the stop near his condo.

When I would ask about his opinion on new gear when I was new and began upgrading he would always tell me "Cheap - Lite - Strong pick two".

Rest in peace mountain man who swims with fishes.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Rest In Peace Mark

A fellow Earth creature that greatly loved and enjoyed our enormously wonderful blue water planet and its life.
My beloved mother also succumbed to acute myeloid leukemia, an unpleasantly life weakening sad ending.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

I didn’t get to meet Mark, but I will sorely miss his gift as a great story-teller as much as his paintings. I really liked THIS thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12225&hilit=Go+for+ ... +the+green
… that I read in The Fishing Hole forum; what a hilarious exchange of comments with his good friend Mike on this trip. This space won’t be quite the same without him.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

When Mark lived in Sacramento, and I was commuting to Roseville, every Friday I would stop at his place, we'd go to the store and cook a nice meal.
He loved lamb on on his Farberware rotisserie. That was for a whole year. We even had a tarptent seam seal party.
I think I've been on at least 5 backpacking trips with him. He would almost always ask to borrow my 2.5" knife to cut up the veggies and the fish as his knife was 1". :)

Lots of artwork sitting there. Hope his son can figure out what to do with it.

I miss him bigtime. I was supposed to drive him home. He was cleared twice for his cancer. really, really sad.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

RIP Mark. I used to enjoy visiting with him when I stopped by the store after a BP trip. His art and stories were priceless. I will think of him whenever I see that white tent store.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Pardon my french, but dammit! He was an icon of this community and always there. I recall getting to know him on the forum w-a-y back in 2005. He will truly be missed.

And my condolences to your good friend OR, may he rest in peace. :(