Dogs in the Tent

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Dogs in the Tent

Post by jessegooddog »

Freddog sleeps next to me all night, never asks to go out and naps quite a bit during the day. He should have been exhausted on our trip, but I am thinking he may have been hungry as I just gave him his regular dinner without considering that he had been hiking and running all day. Next trip he gets a big dinner and a pad from home he has been sleeping on. And maybe we won't go on another full moon trip...
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Beans used to sleep in the tent happily. She would get in my bag if it got too cold for her. At home she was uncomfortable during lightning storms but didn't mind them as much in the tent. It helped that she was a six pound Yorkie. I still miss her.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

In early July I had taken Lucy the Border Collie on her first backpacking trip. I had a small foam pad for her to sleep on, and a blanket to put over her, but she did not use either one. However, a 49-pound dog makes an excellent foot warmer when the outside temperature dips to freezing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Our dog is long haired and gets really dirty (as well as picks up little pine pitch-balls in her fur). I have a very expensive down sleeping bag, so I made a sleeping bag cover to keep it clean. I consider this item essential. This way she can lean up against me, keep me warm and we are both happy.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Knowing your dog and the traits of that breed can help to prepare for and possibly prevent issues while out on the trail. Figuring out why your dog was restless that night is important. You said he was ready to go, so what made him anxious? Is he possessive of anything (ball or toy) that he was missing? He ever act like this before or since that night?

Dogs will tell you what they want and need. Hard part sometimes is interpreting what they are saying.

Lots of good suggestions from others on here. We have 3 spoiled doxies. Two have retired from hiking but our newest one now has her own mini z-pad (doubles as a seat pad) and two mini down bags for different temps that she loves. Our last trip, she went to the tent at 7pm, got into her bag (while we were outside still) and didn’t move until 7-8 the next morning. We usually bring wet or some freeze dried food to add to her regular food to make her eat since her kibble doesn’t seem to have the same yummy appeal in the mountains.