PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I love working on the PCT and with PCTA folks but I can't support the changes they are trying to implement when the areas that will be primarily effected do not have a problem with OHV intrusion on the trail and also are hardly used by PCT hikers unless during thru-hike season. I believe in everyone's ability to get out doors and enjoy their hobbies and for some their ability to enjoy beautiful areas is already far too limited and as I hiker with thousands of miles of trails in pristine wilderness and of course the ability to just go cross country as we please it's just unfair to try and take even more from the OHV community.

One of the primary areas focused on with the PCTA is the Piute Mountains. This is a great area for OHV folks with lots of beautiful trails made for them through out the mountains there. If this mess with the PCTA goes through it will shut down almost all OHV use in the Piutes and considering that 90% of the recreational use up there is OHV will likely lead to the closer of the campgrounds as well when they simply are no longer used.

http://www.stewardsofthesequoia.org/ALE ... dGrab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Written report
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: PCTA Trying to close OHV trails.

Post by evilgenius32 »

Wow is this a shock! I am a huge OHV rider and am shocked by this attempt by the PCTA. I go up and ride motorcycles several times annually at that location and I can honestly say there is no abusing by the OHV riders. It is one of the most well-hidden riding places there is due to its remoteness and extremely difficult and technical terrain. This area is not used by any riders except those that are responsible and smart riders. It is analogous to the quality of hikers and trails at Dinkey as opposed to your hidden spot at 13K feet. The final problem with this is that the whole area is desert forest. It is extremely dry and boring country, not like the Sierra further north. No offense to you Rogue, but I think that the PCTA is way out of line here.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

evilgenius32 wrote:....No offense to you Rogue, but I think that the PCTA is way out of line here.
Evil - reread Rogue's original post. He agrees with you (unless I'm reading his post wrong)
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No, your read correct, he does not agree with the PCTA.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted

Post by evilgenius32 »

Better to be safe than sorry :D I did read that but wanted to make sure following the campfire thread.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I thought I would bring attention to it as many probably don't know about it and it's not too late to get your voice in and fight to stop these changes.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I've for yrs I have used OVH trails and roads responsibly and respectfully as my friends have. To see them potentially shrinking if not disappearing all together in areas is insane. I understand it only takes the actions of a few to dictate the destiny of all; but, I will argue this to eternity. Thanks for bringing this to my attention as I'm pretty passionate in keeping what little areas available to remain that way, I personally thank you Rouge to bringing this to light as I have supported you in the past! :)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Thanks for posting Rogue. Every time an ohv area is closed means the users will move somewhere else. usually with some kind of unintended consequences. One of my favorite areas for winter walks is the Badlands Wilderness east of Bend. I enjoyed the area before it was a wilderness and shared it with ohv folks, no problem. Then the BLM planning team I was a member of decided to close the area to ohvs. I was the only one arguing against the closure. A couple of years later it was designated wilderness. But what this did was require ohv folks to move east where their activity actually has adverse environmental impacts on the sage grouse. So many more acres are likely to be closed to ohv folks in the near future. The other consequence of this, I think, is the Forest service opening more vehicle roads to ohvs. This makes me very uncomfortable when driving these roads, especially when I encounter little kids on mini motorbikes.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

There is an almost religious-like belief among many of the far eco-left that all OHVs are evil and need to be eradicated. They refuse to accept this is not always the case.

The Antelope Creek area east of Red Bluff is a good example. The geology of the area is soft marine sediments with an overlying basaltic cap. This has created steep V canyons with the adjacent ridges broad and flat. There is a network of hiking trails in the canyon bottoms following the creeks, and OHV trails on the ridgetops.
The hiking trails are a chronic source of problems, with erosion and mass wasting, whole streambanks slipping into the creeks. The Forest Service has largely stopped trying to maintain the trails. No problem from the ridgetops -- the soils and exposed bedrock are as stable as can be. So the largest sources of erosion in this area are hiking trails, not OHV use. OHVs are a non issue sedimentation-wise.

The California Wilderness Coalition once proposed this area as wilderness, but has since removed it from their website.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

The problem is that OHV riders go where they are prohibited. Since 1990, I have hiked regularly out of Owl Canyon Campground in the Mojave outside of Barstow. Signs are posted everywhere that the area is closed to OHV use. But OHV tire tracks run right past those signs; those tire tracks can be found throughout the area; on high ridgelines, in the deepest washes; up and down hillsides. I have found on 2 separate occasions desert tortoise shells crushed by OHV tires. Tire ruts that form rills when the rain falls. Irresponsible users everywhere.

Go ride the machines in Lucerne Valley, Johnson Valley, Glamis - places set aside, where they are legal - but please keep them out of the areas from which they are prohibited. In my opinion, there are more than enough areas for them to ride, legally. I don't want to hike in Glamis, so please don't ride where I want to hike (where it is posted as prohibited to ride).
:soapbox:

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.