trump donates his salary to the NPS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trump donates his salary to the NPS

Post by Cross Country »

Comon4day
Your comment also seem purely ideological with no consideration for facts nor reality. Ideologs - yuk.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
This is why I make it a point to do this, and not by what I say, but in what I do.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I did a little experiment last night. I calculated what I needed for my next road trip. Then I added the appropriate mix and added just enough green lube per the vehicle’s calculation. Then, I put plastic under it to capture the green lube that normally drains down my driveway and into the gutter. I had hoped to capture it and put it back into the system so it wouldn’t cost so much in lube to get where I thought I wanted to go. I knew the vehicle was void of green lube before my calculation because when I got in yesterday morning and turned the key, the motor would not turn over. So, I walked to work.

This morning, I went out and collected the green stuff my plastic had captured. Success! No new stains in the driveway and the green river into the gutter was bone dry. I poured my capture into a container and added it back to the tank. When I started the vehicle and set my destination, I was informed that I needed much more green lube to get where I wanted to go. What the…..? I rechecked the driveway. Dry! The stuff doesn’t seem to evaporate. The missing volume could not all have disappeared into thin air, could it? I’ll have to test its evaporative properties more thoroughly.

Another thing I have notice is that it has a particular scent. I can’t quite place it though. Whether it is running or parked, it doesn’t matter. I looked up several reviews and they all mentioned the scent that accompanies the vehicle. How it smells seems to depend on what review site you are reading. One site describes it like a fresh, spring morning. The other site says it smells like lawn trimmings that have sat in the recycle bin for weeks. It can’t be both. I’m so confused.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:Well, I believe “R” type fuels are available in this state. It becomes very interesting at the extremes. When you get drivers who like an extreme “L” type mix among drivers who prefer an extreme “R” type mix, the ensuing demolition derby can be difficult to navigate. Maybe that’s why our traffic sucks out loud. Maybe at the extreme, it’s just that nobody can get anywhere. Everything jams up to a standstill.

And the green lube spills all around, all around. And the green lube spills all around.
I run the "R" type. But when its a 3 Ton vehicle, I pity the guy turning left in a Prius.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I pity anyone in a Prius :unibrow:

Just kidding. Wouldn't want to get any Prius owners in an uproar.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok then..

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gXZeq9eXAys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]

Thought about getting one for commuting, but I tend to end up behind them all staring at their eco console... in the fast lane..
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

2 ideologues - yuk and yuk.
I apologise to the rest of you. I was a teacher and admit I am compulsively so. I compulsively serch for the truth and find ideoligal thinking to be largely counter education. I, of course don't believe this to be irrefutable because I don't think nor write ideologically.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Cross Country wrote:I don't believe this (ideological thinking is counter education) to be irrefutable because I don't think nor write ideologically.
Is the desire to freely peaceably assemble, speak and associate a fundamental right, or just simply "counter educational"? Is the basic instinct to defend oneself from force a fundamental right, or just ideology in need of (re)education?

Since you don't appear to believe in absolute truths, can you prove that you actually exist? If consciousness is the product of neurochemical processes, how do you know you're not merely a simulation?

If 10 members of HST ended up alone on a desert island, what form of government would emerge? One that favored the individual, or one that used force to cure those who believed in improper ideology?
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Sheesh, let the damned snow melt so these wannabe philosophers can escape to the place that restores their minds to sanity.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

But who's to say this isn't discussed around the campfire? Seriously, you can't make this sh!t up. And hey, thanx for the pejorative - apparently Dunning–Kruger is in full effect:

On Not Being Able to Sleep
After the U.S. 2016 Presidential Election
Ronald J. Peliasf

Abstract

Following the 2016 U.S. presidential election, I find myself struggling, wanting to find a narrative that will let me sleep, but I am unable to find any comfort in the current political landscape. I call upon a fragmentary structure in this autoethnographic essay to display the troubling thoughts and incidents that have assailed me since the election, to point toward a frightening right wing agenda, and to demonstrate why I cannot sleep. Each numbered section offers evidence that the moral core of the United States has been deeply damaged by the election of Donald Trump.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... lCode=qixa&

Instructor of Theatre
BA, Southern Methodist University
MFA, Southern Methodist University
PhD, University of Illinois

Ronald J. Pelias attended Southern Methodist University for his B.A. (1968) and MFA (1971) and received his doctorate in performance studies at the University of Illinois (1979). He taught performance studies from 1981-2013 in the Department of Communication Studies at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. He works on the stage primarily as a director and on the page as a writer committed to non-traditional forms of scholarly representation. His most recent books exploring qualitative methods are Leaning: A Poetics of Personal Relations (2011), Performance: An Alphabet of Performative Writing (2014), and If the Truth Be Told: Accounts in Literary Forms (2016).