trump donates his salary to the NPS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trump donates his salary to the NPS

Post by Jimr »

I've been testing out this new concept in vehicle for a short time now. It's been around for a while, but not nearly as long as the other design concepts. The vehicle comes in three models: Luxury, mid-size and compact. The luxury model can get you anywhere in the country. The mid-size will get you around the state and the compact is for around town. I have the luxury model.

This vehicle is semi-automatic with respect to navigation and performance. It has half a mind of it's own. It doesn't run on normal fuels. It actually runs on a ratio of two different fuel types. The “L” type and “R” type fuels are readily available, in general, but depending on where you are, one or the other may be in short supply, so you have to plan accordingly. You cannot use 100% of one fuel type unless you want to go in circles. All “L” type fuel and you will do left circles, sort of like NASCAR. And, the same for the “R” type.

It has a different lubricant as well. It uses a green lube that is added along with the fuel ratio. It's biodegradable, so that's cool, but it also degrades as time passes so it becomes less effective as it ages. It's also very expensive and sorely lacking in several areas of the country.

What is entirely different about this vehicle is that to go to a destination, you tell the vehicle where you want to go and it calculates the proper “L” to “R” ratio and quantity, then calculates the proper amount of green lube required to reach your destination. Sounds great, but it has some severe flaws.

The first flaw I've noticed is that the fuel ratio algorithm tends to be bias toward the dominant fuel in the mix. If you have more “R” type than “L” type, then the vehicle tends to drift right and vice versa. You never quite make it to your destination. The longer the drive, the larger the error. This really sucks if you have the luxury model like I have.

Another flaw I've noticed is that the green lube calculation always falls far short of what is actually required to arrive at the planned destination. If it says two quarts are required, you better bring four and maybe six to be safe. Otherwise, you'll be walking the rest of the way. You can easily tell when you're running low on green lube because the vehicles starts to run rough and make noises. If this condition persists for more than a few miles, the vehicle just shuts down until it is fed. It doesn't really hurt the vehicle when it runs low on green lube, but once re-lubed, it tends to drift even farther left or right depending on your fuel ratio.

The third flaw I've experienced is that within a fairly short time, you'll start to notice leaks. A green puddle here, a green puddle there. It always seems to be the green lube that leaks. Sometimes, they are large leaks leaving a big puddle. The funny thing is, when investigated, no leak can be found. I don't get it. It's all over the driveway, but no sign of where it's leaking from. You can't take it to a mechanic to assess because they have no idea how these vehicles work. It's a secret. You have to take it to the dealer and that's going to cost you a large quantity of green juice. Unfortunately, when the vehicle is returned, there will be no leaks found.

In general, I see a great concept in this vehicle, but at this time, you're not going to get where you wanted to go and you're going to go through massive volumes of green lube the get there. Wherever “there” ends up being. I think these issues are fixable. First and most importantly, the leaks need to be stopped. I'm confident that this is a design flaw. It won't be fixed with bigger and better gaskets. Currently, it costs far too much in green lube to get anywhere. Second, the navigation system need to be tightened up so there is little, if any, drift. Third, the green lube calculations require a severe overhaul and consumption, in general, needs to be more efficient. Once these flaws are corrected, then we can have a conversation about the proper fuel ratios. Until then, no matter what ratio you add, you're going to be disappointed with where you end up and how much it cost to get there.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice car.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Jimr
There are lots of signs of "where it's leaking from".
Although I have a masters degree in economics I wouldn't consider for one moment writing a long monologue on economics on this forum. This is HST Jimr.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Jimr

LOL!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

oldranger wrote:Jimr

LOL!
What did you think he was talking about?
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Sorry, I meant to just send this to old ranger but obviously I don't know how to do that.
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by k9mark »

Rockyroad wrote:Trump's donation = $78,000

Proposed cut to the Dept of Interior = $1,500,000,000 for fiscal 2018 (12% decrease from 2017)
Cost of security at Trump Tower (when Trump is in town) = $308,000/day
Cost of security at Trump Tower (for Melania and Barron) = $127,000-$145,000/day
Cost of each visit to Mar-a-Lago ~ $3,000,000
As compared to how much money we taxpayers paid out for the previous president? Doesn't matter who it is, govt is corrupt
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Cross Country wrote:What did you think he was talking about?
The whole thing is an allegory and each component one metaphor in the allegorical story. The L and R fuels represent left and right political geography (a little red, very red, a little blue, very blue) and the green stuff that lubricates everything is money. The 3 car ranges represent whether a person's world view is broad, regional or narrow/provincial. Read it again slowly with all that in mind and you will see how amazingly spot on it all is.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Tom H
All of what you said is true but there was more. I suspect that you know what more it was and chose to avoid mentioning it.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

With all due respect CC, please educate us on what that "more" is. I'm curious to know what I meant.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

IDC