trump donates his salary to the NPS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trump donates his salary to the NPS

Post by Cross Country »

One time around a campfire I was talking to a man who wanted the military budged increased while cutting almost everything else. I said to him "but you love the national parks and national forests". He said to me
"Everything should be privatized, parks, schools" and everything else that was just slightly imaginable, anything that he thought was remotly possible. Knowing something of economics I began to tell him some very serious potential problems and how this could effect the economy and his life very negatively.
That's the problem with ideological thinking. It ignores facts and departs from reality.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

As water rushes down Kings canyon like military expenditures through a budget {1}, it calls out to the deep snow saying "Remember me as you pass by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so you must be, Prepare for melt and and follow me." {2} If we think of water like fuel for a fire {3}, it provides the lifeblood of people living in the state. {4}
I think I managed to get an {1} analogy, {2} allegory, {3} simile and {4} metaphor in there somehow. But, regardless, to get back on topic, I think we can conclude the blue team are the very devils; unless of course you think the reds are satan's spawn.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

LOL. It's the same thing, only different.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Carry on! This is fun!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

rlown wrote:sounds like a chevy vega with a warped head. Happy B'day as well, Jimr.. :)
Thanks Russ,

Lisa and I are hitting Anza Borrego this evening for the weekend. Can't think of a better place to spend my bday.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Hobbes wrote:I should add that perhaps the most important aspect of your tale is whether or not it actually includes metaphors:
Tom_H wrote:The whole thing is an allegory and each component one metaphor in the allegorical story.
I agree it's a clever allegorical tale, but are there actually metaphors contained within?
That's what an allegory is. The individual components in an allegory are all metaphorical analogues to something else in another story or real life situation. The Chronicles of Narnia is a set of allegorical stories. Aslan is a metaphor for Jesus, His death a metaphor for Jesus death, Edmund's transformation a metaphor for new life, the White Witch a metaphor for Satan.

Metaphors in his story? The most obvious is the green lube; that is a metaphor for money. (And that last phrase illustrates alliteration. ;) )

There is no such thing as an allegory without metaphors. An allegory is an entire story told in metaphors.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Jimr wrote:
This vehicle is semi-automatic with respect to navigation and performance. It has half a mind of it's own. It doesn't run on normal fuels. It actually runs on a ratio of two different fuel types. The “L” type and “R” type fuels are readily available, in general, but depending on where you are, one or the other may be in short supply, so you have to plan accordingly. You cannot use 100% of one fuel type unless you want to go in circles. All “L” type fuel and you will do left circles, sort of like NASCAR. And, the same for the “R” type.

It has a different lubricant as well. It uses a green lube that is added along with the fuel ratio. It's biodegradable, so that's cool, but it also degrades as time passes so it becomes less effective as it ages. It's also very expensive and sorely lacking in several areas of the country.
So this explains whats going on here in California. It only sells "L" type fuel causing us all to go around in circles and wasting our green lubricant.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, I believe “R” type fuels are available in this state. It becomes very interesting at the extremes. When you get drivers who like an extreme “L” type mix among drivers who prefer an extreme “R” type mix, the ensuing demolition derby can be difficult to navigate. Maybe that’s why our traffic sucks out loud. Maybe at the extreme, it’s just that nobody can get anywhere. Everything jams up to a standstill.

And the green lube spills all around, all around. And the green lube spills all around.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ever see the "smug" episode of "south park?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Haven't watched South Park since x-mas of 2000