Would You Buy a Jeep?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Would You Buy a Jeep?

Post by Vaca Russ »

This Jeep Rubicon was a brand new purchase and the owner decided to “go 4 wheeling”. This is at about 8300 feet on the road to Crater Lake off of highway 88 in Alpine County.
1 Jeep.jpg
He slipped in the snow and a stump kept him from sliding all of the way off of the road.

You can see the stump here.
2 Stump.jpg
This is the dent.
2.5 Dent.jpg
Knowing a Jeep could easily recover from such a mishap I tried to encourage to him to just creep out of the situation. I had a peak to climb so I left it to him to operate the machine.

On the return trip I found he was not very successful at operating the Jeep.
3 Looking Down.jpg
It looks like he took out a tree. This probably kept him from sliding farther down the mountain.
4 Tree.jpg
He also busted his mirror.
5 Mirror.jpg
Don’t these things have locking hubs? I can lock the differential on my Tacoma. Are these Rubicons really this lame or was this (what I suspect) operator error?

Didn’t Hobbes buy one of these things?

I certainly don’t regret my purchase. I always go with customer reviews. This vehicle is the preferred machine of all international terrorists. :lol:
6 Tacoma.jpg
All I need is a Ma Deuce mounted in the bed and I’ve got a technical! :D

JMHO,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Would You Buy a Jeep?

Post by Hobbes »

Vaca Russ wrote:Didn’t Hobbes buy one of these things?
LOL - we treat ours strictly as a mall crawler. Maybe a fire road to Monache meadow, or Green lake, but hopefully no destruction. Btw, that's a JK; the brand new model - the one we got - is the JL.

I guess some people have money to throw around - check out this guy taking what is essentially our Jeep (Rubicon, color, 4dr - however, they added 35" tires vs our 33" stock, but no lift kit) and putting it through its paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsh2yqoTeWI

For hard core bouldering, the stock performance chars are off the charts. Check out the articulation with front sway bars disconnected:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... tion.3244/

One of our neighbors just got the same model in gray. He works in the after market world, so I think they are going to do a full off-road pimp out.

PS The couple in the video above came back with 37" and a 2.5" lift kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPp1ICpzkBo
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The guy in VR's pics obviously didn't bring a friend in another vehicle (with a tow chain) or get a winch on his own jeep. That tree uphill would have made quick work to move the jeep.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

That’s operator error. I have a Jeep and love it.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Hobbes wrote:
Vaca Russ wrote:Didn’t Hobbes buy one of these things?
LOL - we treat ours strictly as a mall crawler. Maybe a fire road to Monache meadow, or Green lake, but hopefully no destruction. Btw, that's a JK; the brand new model - the one we got - is the JL.

I guess some people have money to throw around - check out this guy taking what is essentially our Jeep (Rubicon, color, 4dr - however, they added 35" tires vs our 33" stock, but no lift kit) and putting it through its paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsh2yqoTeWI

For hard core bouldering, the stock performance chars are off the charts. Check out the articulation with front sway bars disconnected:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... tion.3244/

One of our neighbors just got the same model in gray. He works in the after market world, so I think they are going to do a full off-road pimp out.

PS The couple in the video above came back with 37" and a 2.5" lift kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPp1ICpzkBo
The girl in that last video was a great spotter. Although I have trouble with the idea on taking such a new and expensive vehicle somewhere where you know it going to get hurt. I have a new Tacoma and I turn around on trails when I think the brush is going to scratch it.

Can't really figure out why the guy in the original post couldn't get out of that, or even how he got into it. Probably too much skinny peddle.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the first trip in my '97 Dodge dually 4x4 was to a back road in Oregon on a hunting trip and the brush was thick along the edges and the road was getting narrow. I said, girl, we're gonna break you in. yes she has scratches, still purrs. Stripes of honor.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

If I had lots of cash I would buy one. And learn how to drive it. :) I wouldn't care if it got beaten up since that's what Jeeps are made for. I'd take 168 up to White Mountain Road and head down to Cottonwood Creek. I once went down there in someone else's OHV. That's a fun area to drive around if you have one.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Vaca Russ wrote: All I need is a Ma Deuce mounted in the bed and I’ve got a technical!
Ahahaha!

Get several, and you'll not only totally dominate Vacaville, you'll go up in social status.

I'm impressed. Not many people know either of those terms.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Shreddin' the gnar.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Probably a good thing his wife wasn't in the jeep with him.. :o