I find stuff

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I find stuff

Post by astrogerly »

@rlown - haha totes understand! Our office is a gear room - skiing and hiking/backpacking. I'm a bit OCD but my husband (dmasten) is not so much. I think he's learned his lesson now... and he'll have a pack up list and we'll quad check things now! we're just happy we didn't get injured (our friends joke with us - but all our injuries are skiing!).
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Camping chairs. Lots of folding metal frame, drink holder, buy them at Walmart in assorted colors, chairs. An inordinate amount in weird places that I never would expect, not to mention that I wouldn't expect to find them anyhow. I laugh, and I'm sure not hiking them out. I guess the convenient carrying case and everyday low prices make them seem like a good idea at the time.

But Wow!! How often do you leave your pad and Jetboil somewhere and actually end up getting them back? That's just awesome. My ex wouldn't even give me back my spork.
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefintu »

Hi astrogerly,

I will send you your stove, either Monday or Tuesday. My Boy Scouts are at summer camp and the Dad who found your stove won't be home till tomorrow. Your stove was just sitting on a boulder, I'm sorry about the sleeping pad, we did not see it. The item my friend also found was some kind of case for a phone or camera. It was found some distance away from your campsite.

Anyway, I'm happy to return things to the rightful owners. I do have a descent record of returning things to the owners. The things I find on the trail, has to be someone in front of me, because, no one came the opposite way. I made my Son do double time to try and catch up to the hikers to find out if they lost anything. And, we found the owners. I consider all the extra trash is mine, unless, someone else wants it to pack it out.

Don
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Don

Appreciate you being willing to return it! We'll happily send a check to cover the shipping costs! If there is a canister of fuel in there, you or your friend are welcome to it since shipping that would be frowned upon. We still can't believe we missed seeing it - but really glad you posted something! Thanks so much again!

We're the same way - if we find stuff, we try to find the owners (or drop it off at a ranger station). We always seem to come out with more trash than we produce too - hate seeing wrappers, etc., on the trail and at campsites
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I can't remember finding anything other than various litter during my trips. I do remember two things I left behind. My worst loss was on a 1981 trip out of Little Lakes Valley when I forgot my lure box at one of the Treasure Lakes. It had some spoons I had bought in Montana that I've never seen since (plus the usual Z-Ray etc. collection). More recently in 2015 I left my "in vest" mini lure box along the rocky shore of a lake in Desolation. Not quite as bad as the 1981 loss, but I think the mini box had about 10 lures in it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A fisherman has got to know where his lure box is.. :lol:
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice work on the good deeds Bluefintu! We've made a couple of nice finds, but hiking with our kids from baby age through to teens, we've mostly scattered a weird assortment of stuff all over the range: colored pencils, kiddie books, hats, drinking cups, sun-glasses, hiking sticks, fishing gear... on and on- kids lose everything! We carry out enough trash to make up for it, in terms of volume at least. My own favorite items to scatter have been Swiss army knives and small binoculars. Oh well, and some other words too.

Best finds: went a long mile back and made a very lucky find of my buddy's high-tech, several K $, blood-sugar monitoring insert- silver dollar size gadget found in the rocks off the trail where we'd rested.

And our 12 year old son Ryan once found a very full- $$$- wallet on the trail down from Shepherd Pass, and from a photo we recognized one of the men who had recently passed us. Ryan raced ahead to return it to the happily surprised guy.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Found a really nice 4" folding knife and belt sheath at a trailhead. No one else there. I figure it fell off a belt while someone was changing clothes next to his car. Still use it. A six-pack of beer in a stream in a backcountry campsite popular with horse groups. That was a nice find after a long hike on a hot day!

Used condoms in a campfire ring. I did not pack them out. I have my limits. The worst is a couple of rifle cartridges buried just below the surface in a campfire ring, and pointed at a log where people would normally sit. I reported it to local LEOs and they said they have seen similar in recent months. I now thoroughly check all campfire rings before I use them (which I seldom do anymore).

I accidentally left a pair of bike gloves along a trail when I fixed my chain. Did not realize it until several more miles down the trail and realized I was riding with bare hands. Went back to the spot and they were gone. Bummed out, I finished the ride and and checked with the local non-profit that adopted the trail. I asked if anyone turns them in to call me, and described them. The fellow smiled and asked "Like these?" and pulled them out from behind his desk. They were my gloves! I had not passed anyone on the trail, so I do not know how they beat me back.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

I have faith in people. A friend of mine, forgot his fishfinder for his float tube in the parking lot at Little Virginia Lake. A year later, he happened to ask someone at the General Store about his fishfinder he left behind the year before and the guy went in the back and brought out his fishfinder. Someone found it in the parking lot and turned it into the store, where they had it for a year.

astrogerly, I picked up your stove from my friend's house today and I will UPS it tomorrow.(Tuesday) Don't worry about the shipping cost. Pay it forward.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@bluefintu - you are too kind and will do for sure. I know we're bound to be able to do the same - especially with the Sierra (and all NPs) becoming more and more popular.