Bruised leg, take a bit to heal?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bruised leg, take a bit to heal?

Post by hikerduane »

Banged my leg below the knee pretty good, missed hitting my head luckily on my recent trip. Slipped on some mossy rocks I was trying to be careful on when taking a dip in the small creek at the end of my third day out. Spun 180, went down on my back, missing hitting my head, didnt need to have another hole drilled in my skull. Had no issue with my leg for a few days, but it is showing a bruise and a little lumpy, pain scale of maybe 2 to 3. Leg isnt quite so swollen maybe it is healing. Ive jogged a few times and went on a o/n bp trip last weekend, so able to get around. Give it time?
Duane
Piece of cake.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Bruised leg, take a bit to heal?

Post by rightstar76 »

I would see a doctor! There is no need to take any chances. Glad you were able to make it out.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ibuprofen and Ice. And walk a bit to work out the blood flow.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Avoid getting medical advice from people on the internet who do not know you, your medical history, or have done any examination of your condition.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

balzaccom wrote:Avoid getting medical advice from people on the internet who do not know you, your medical history, or have done any examination of your condition.
I'm the perfect example of that sound advice...

Had a friend drop off an embankment once while throwing a frisbee around. He said his leg hurt, but I wasn't done yet, so I told him to quit whining, rub it hard, and walk it off. He sat down, rolled up his pants leg...amazing what a compound fracture of a left fibula looks like.

So, if it hurts, Phil says, at no charge, embrace the pain, kick a small animal with your injured leg to make yourself feel better, and carry on as normal.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

To be clear here, If an individual knows his own body, the person should know what to do. I walked out 8 miles with a broken ankle that looked like a sprained ankle. I didn't know it was broken until 20 years later. If you feel it's worse than what you think, see your doctor.

Don't kick small animals unless they are attacking you or your dog. :)

I was going to say rub dirt on it, but that would just be wrong...
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you guys for the comedy-ments. I should go anyway, have not had a physical for a few years.
Duane
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would have it checked out for good measure, and would probably cut back on any strenuous physical activity until your physician okay's it, it needs to heal properly, otherwise you may get scar tissue build up in the knee joint, which could effect you later on in life, if not immediately.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I'll have to go in to town, my rotary phone won't let me get thru to a live Scheduling person.
Duane
Piece of cake.