Everyone's thoughts on what's really causing fires

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Everyone's thoughts on what's really causing fires

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I agree completely with mrphil's assessment.
Rightstar, what would you do to change the situation, given the assumption you have zero effect on what the rest of the world does?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

no we don't. get back to us when you shut down what Russia, China, India, etc do. (tired of typing the list...)
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what cars do you drive, how often do you fill them up with fuel, and is your house warm? No reason to even go global. We cannot fix that. Ever been in a China or India commute?

Let's get back to what mrphil said. It is local choices. Do you want to have your power shut off? then you have to get a generator and guess what those burn.
Clear the forest fuel near dwellings, quit building in silly places with no fire safe boundaries as there are consequences, and then things are good.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm 57 and really don't care about changing soon, as I'll most likely be dead before it impacts me.
Besides, I asked you first.

What do you drive? would be a good start.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is a complex problem; no easy answers. Agree that what we do is a drop in the bucket, worldwide. I do not intend to give up my car, but I can waste less gas, walk when I can, plan my driving better, think twice about over-consuming (do I really need that thing?), conserve, recycle, etc.

PG&E played a role, but it is just too easy to pile all the blame on them, or the oil industry, coal industry, etc. ( PS, I worked at a coal mine for over 10 years. We were highly regulated and believe it or not, were very focused on mitigating environmental damage.) Coal and oil will no longer be extracted and burned when demand for the product ceases. But regardless of energy sources, wind, solar, coal, oil; electricity runs our economy (and our lives) and will have to be transported from generation to place-of-use, which means energy distribution networks, such as PG&E. There is no such thing as 100% fool-proof power delivery. Even if global warming were to reverse, even if PG&E threw trillions of dollars at maintenance, there still would be fires. We need to detect them quicker, respond quicker, re-think where we develop housing, build better, and adapt better to the changing conditions. And yes, continue to replace the "old power" with renewables when affordable and feasible.

Hiker-chick; so sorry about your family. That is a horrible thing for anyone to have to go through.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

rightstar76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm We can demand that officials build alternative transportation to Tahoe and Yosemite.
Who is going to pay for that?
rightstar76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm We can demand an end to real estate speculation in Tahoe
Ever hear of TRPA?
rightstar76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm Unless you live year round in Tahoe or Mammoth, you really don't need an SUV.
There are plenty of people who don't live year round here or in Mammoth that need an SUV.
rightstar76 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm And let's not forget the real estate lobbyists who want to keep developing, financing, and selling property
Who built your house?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman