Backcountry Cell Towers

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Cell Towers

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Totally relying on GPS or apps for navigation is not OK in my book. Staying connected to home or entertainment is an issue of choice that has more to do with what wilderness experience you want. Evening "entertainment" can also just be non-connected, such as an I-pod and books on tape. I also love to jot down notes or study my topo maps in the evening. It is sad that most younger people nowadays have never, and probably will never, experience wilderness unconnected.

Solo vs group also makes a difference. When with another or in a group you have more self-sufficiency, such as evening socializing, the ability to send someone out in case of injury and mental and physical support if the group were to get into a survival situation.

Having been on month long trips with no outside contact (before days of any electronics), but with a group, I can definitely say it is a different wilderness experience, one I cherish because I could totally forget civilization. I got to the point where my tent was home and the thought of going back to civilization was like some bad dream. The packers brought in supplies in the middle of the month.

One big question is, "should we change the underlying ethics of the Wilderness Act to adapt to technology?" It is sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't. And once you start unraveling the Wilderness Act, what happens?
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backcountry Cell Towers

Post by rayfound »

One big question is, "should we change the underlying ethics of the Wilderness Act to adapt to technology?"
On that I would say NO.

That said, with more adjacent areas getting blanketed with coverage, It will become less and less rare for us to have intermittent signal even in wilderness areas.