Backcountry Cell Towers

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backcountry Cell Towers

Post by maverick »

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2 ... iOtE_zXgv8

Is this the beginning of cell towers flooding the backcountry? Where do you stand on this, good idea or bad idea, and why?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Cell Towers

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yes in the front country. No in the back country. Next they'll want cellphone recharging stations as well.
Front country is easy as they already have underground services there. Back country, they do not.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

On public land, OK, but NOT in Wilderness. The tower featured is next to a lodge. I see nothing wrong with that. For example, I appreciate cell coverage when I am in Yosemite Valley. I would actually like to see removal of some permanent fixtures in the wilderness, such as trail signs. You really do not even need these anymore, given most people have a GPS.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Related story...
Up in Tuolumne Meadows, after the heavy winter two years past, there was no summer cell or wifi service...zero. It was great! We did get newspapers...Go Dodgers!
Turns out that winter's storm knocked out Yosemite's repeating station on the Valley rim up above Indian Canyon, suffered a major avalanche there too...BTW, still an active zone to this day. Today, one of those "trees" now temporarily resides up near May Lake, and as of last September, provides the spotty cell service to the Meadows... Only Verizon though, no AT&T.
Interesting observation about all the electronically "geared-up" hikers - (PCT, some JMT) coming through ...complaining daily about the lack of connectivity. "How am I supposed to do my blog?"
Our standard response...20 miles east (Lee Vining), or 38 miles west to Crane Flat.
We do have a re-charging station at the store though.
Mountainman who swims with trout
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Another vote for yes in the front country and no in the back country. If it's designated wilderness that means no phone service except in those few locations on high ridges and peaks where you get reception from somewhere far away. For example, I once got reception on the ridge by Lower Twin Island Lake above the North Fork. If someone wants emergency contact, then carry an InReach, SPOT, satellite phone, or PLB. Wilderness is not for staying in touch with your social networks. If you need to be in daily contact with social networks, than wilderness travel is not for you.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Another related story. I was working with a trail crew down in the bottom of Summit City Canyon--one of the more isolated and wild places in the Sierra--no through trails at all, and we were working to make the only trail in our area passable. But that night I had cell phone coverage, because towering over the Mokelumne River on the far side of the canyon was Bear Valley with its own cell tower. '

My wife was quite surprised to hear from me that night!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

rlown wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 am Yes in the front country. No in the back country. Next they'll want cellphone recharging stations as well.
Front country is easy as they already have underground services there. Back country, they do not.
Spot on answer. They will only put them where they can make money. In Yosemite Valley and along major Yellowstone routes, there is enough demand. In the backcountry, there isn't enough demand to justify the cost of the equipment. SpaceX's Starlink constellation will drive down the cost of simply taking a sat phone with you wherever you go on Earth. Cell phones will likely be able to switch between cell towers and satellites as needed.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

Having cellphone towers in designated wilderness shouldn't even be up for debate. I'm also strongly opposed to there being any coverage in national parks be it frontcountry or backcountry, unless it's a park that's close to a city and it's unavoidable. When the NPS was first established, a large part of the rationale was not just protecting invaluable resources, but preserving a space where people could essentially escape from the modern world and get a semblance of what life was like in a simpler time. I used to spend my summers working in Sequoia, and one of my greatest joys was on my move-in day to stop in Lemon Cove, fill up on gas, and change my my voicemail message before losing all service to say that I'd be completely unreachable for the next four months. Us luddites need some sort of refuge!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

There have been rf communication towers on hills and mountains on non-wilderness both private and public lands across the state for decades. The only thing new here is that this is for consumer cell frequencies and are proposing a novel tree-like tower structure.