EAGLE One

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

EAGLE One

Post by Jimr »

Mav posted a Fresno Co. SAR incident that included EAGLE One. It brought back some stirring memories, 'cause my son and I were passengers in 2012. Juan was the pilot at the time. He posted a video on Youtube while he was waiting for us to hike the half mile from our camp to the bird.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: EAGLE One

Post by rlown »

why were you on the bird?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Couldn't find part 2, but I'm guessing wifey made the call.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

They used to be connected together with hot links, but you can find the rest at the bottom under similar topics. Except (5). You have to hit the one showing additional pics, then the (5) shows up in the similar topics section.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I was wondering: does the bird fly out of Fresno? The reason I ask is that although Laurel is over on the east side, Dawn and I remember a helicopter flying pretty low over us at Adair Lake in S Yosemite in the afternoon of July 23 and we wondered if there was an SAR operation in the area but perhaps it may have been that a bird flying out of Fresno was headed for Laurel or visa versa. On the other hand, on 24th a helicopter flew over us in the Edna Lake area, so we wondered if there was an active search in the Red Peak Pass area. Also, Adair would seem to be a bit too far north of a route for someone to fly from Fresno to Laurel (easiest path from Fresno would be up the San Joaquin toward Mammoth).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

https://kmph.com/news/local/fresno-coun ... helicopter

Hard to tell as there are Eagle One designations across the US. Probably Fresno w/o knowing the actual tail number.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, the operation was conducted by Fresno Co. Sheriff.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Well, if it's any consolation, I think some copter operators also supply access to the backcountry for those seeking a quick "lift". Two years ago, my wife and I spotted a copter dipping into French canyon and then lifting back out 20 min later. The next day we saw ski tracks that certainly had not come from our direction (Piute pass), nor from Pine Creek pass, so draw your own conclusions.........Cameron