Back from Tuolumne

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Back from Tuolumne

Post by markskor »

Just finished up my last shift of the season, Yosemite, at the Tuolumne Store...which BTW, closed a day early due to snow. (More to come on the season, later.) Yesterday, woke up to 4 inches of Sierra cement...time to pack up our tents behind the store. The season was over, and they give us three days to vacate.

First order of business was to clean up the tent (sigh), and get everything packed up small enough to fit back into the Jeep. Then had to take down the Twilight Lounge...2 stoves, propane tanks, tarps, X-mas lights, lounge chairs, Weber BBQ, carpets... and store everything into the shipping containers behind the store, ready again for the next season.
They had closed down 120 at the pass for the night.
Dwaine (Grill lead) decided to cook a massive group dinner feast for all of us who had stayed and were now snowed in. Derek, (housing guy) brought in a load of wood...thus we had food, heat, some good bourbon, and enough beer. So, we had an epic snowball fight and waited until they re-opened Tioga Pass.
fairview dome 2.jpg
snow at Twilite Lounge.jpg
wood truck.jpg
danny.jpg
snow store.jpg
Today, back home in Mammoth...Just wanted to say hi.
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Back from Tuolumne

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, Mark. That last pic is epic.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Welcome back, Mark!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Good to meet you up there and put a face to the name!

Andy
JMat
Topix Regular

Post by JMat »

Welcome back, Mark. I was up there for what was supposed to be the last four days before they closed but I was just rolling through Lee Vining on Thurs the 26th I got the email that said they were closing eveything down a day early. Stayed a couple nights in the campground(and looked for you at the store Mark) and when they kicked us out at noon on Saturday we headed down to the June Lake Autumn Beerfest. All in all... still a great weekend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Good to meet you up there and put a face to the name!
X 2 :thumbsup:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Missed you a couple times up there Mark early season. Hope all is well. Thanks for posting all the art, being a featured artist, and congrats to another season! Ive been very behind this season on the forum here. Hit me up if your back the eastside and want to come paint down in the hills. Your always welcomed!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Another that was glad to meet you this year. Next year I am hoping that my health will allow my to make a second attempt to do the JMT and I hope to share a few with you as I pass through.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Much thanks to all those who stopped in to say hi. Yes, it is a constant area of high activity there in the store... not much time to converse when it gets busy. Sorry if I was ever a bit hurried to talk.
BTW, they just sent me my "next year's" invitation to again slave away at the Tuolumne Store 2020.
I accepted of course...too much fun. So, next year, if I'm not working when you are in the area...just come back...I live in tent 9, just behind the store.
The OldRanger and wife Kathy popped in a few nights with his son Matt and "soon to be" wife Megan...tri-tip dinner, smoked Koke's, and good bourbon in hand. They got to share a few dinners in the Twilight Lounge with the rest of the TM Club Med crew...good times!
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

BTW, they just sent me my "next year's" invitation to again slave away at the Tuolumne Store 2020.
I accepted of course...too much fun.
Congratulations Mark, you do a great job there I'm sure.... are you a starving artist the rest of the year?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.