Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
el marinero
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corona Virus

Post by el marinero »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:33 am State parks are now closed.
California State Parks are not closed completely. Campgrounds and visitor centers are closed; trails and beaches are open.

More info here: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=712
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is not clear to me what impacts the permit system has on all this. Say in coming months, trailheads are technically "open" but the offices where you get your permits are "closed", does that mean you effectively cannot use them? I certainly hope they set up a drop-box method of getting permits. I assume that trailhead camping would also not be allowed, restrooms closed. There are still 2 months or more before backpacking starts, so I hope some system is set up by then. Obviously, backpacking IS a good way to socially isolate.

I am looking at areas and trailheads that have no permits required or quotas, instead using self-register. I recall that off-season one could self-register, for example, in Emigrant Wilderness? I used to do that at Big Oak Flat in Yosemite, but now you cannot even drive into Yosemite. I am wondering about FS trailheads such as Fernandez south of Yosemite. I see no clear direction from the Forest Service; I suppose they are just waiting to see what happens.

Unless some official physically stops me on the highway, I am planning on going to the Wind Rivers this summer- no permits needed. However I hope something works out for a few June trips in the Sierra.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

National Forest and BLM lands are all open, even if the office is closed. If there is no shut gate on the road it is still legal to drive. The stay-in-place order still allows outdoor exercise. No one is saying the exercise can only be walking around your own neighborhood.

Many trails and Wilderness do not require permits, so I do not really see this as a problem.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

el marinero wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 pm
Lumbergh21 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:46 pm I see a lot of talk about bondocking or camping away from people, but has anyone actually read the Governor's Executive Order and the CDPH Director's order detailing what we are allowed to do?
I have and I don't care.
You can go hiking without running afoul of the Governor. Below is an excerpt from the guidelines found at:
https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except ... ial-needs/

Outdoor recreation

Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block? Walk my dog?

Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

Does this order affect hiking? State Parks?

No, you may still go outside so long as you practice social distancing of six feet. California State Parks have closed indoor facilities and campgrounds, but trails and outdoor spaces are still open. Spending time outdoors can lead to a number of overall health and wellness benefits like lessening anxiety, boosting creativity and getting your vitamin D. If you decide to make a trip, remember to keep social distance.
That is from the FAQ. The orders themselves don't allow for those exemptions. Elsewhere in the world and some counties in the US those activities are not allowed. Based on what I saw this Saturday, the most crowded trails I have ever seen with no pretense of social distancing, I would be surprised if the number of cases and deaths didn't rise significantly. If that happens, you can bet those FAQs will change. Prohibiting outdoor recreation woudn't require any changes to the orders themselves. The complete closure of Yosemite to all traffic will likely be implemented at all public lands where possible, and if you drove to a trailhead, it won't be hard for the police to make your life miserable by just patrolling trailhead parking.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

commonloon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:46 am "In his announcement Thursday night, Newsom indicated outdoor recreation and exercise is also allowed — he mentioned dog-walking and “taking your kids outside” — as long as social distancing and other “common sense” preventive measures are followed."

Here in Marin the original shelter in place said that travel was allowed even "into or out of the County to perform Essential Activities." Essential activities including "hiking, or running."
Maybe I neglected to write this before, but the county shelter in place orders seem to be well written and spell everything out. However, the state orders are very general. Based on the FAQ on the CDPH site, outdoor recreation is still allowed, but there is nothing in the order itself that even suggests that it is still allowed unless outdoor recreation is considered "essential" in the federal list (I didn't see that myself). The media is not considered essential by the way.
I'm thinking that climbing maybe isn't socially responsible until things both get better and stabilize... there's the rub: balancing social responsibility (helping to stop the virus, not potentially putting more burden on health care) and getting out.

Looking forward is seems that this will be with us for a long time. The Spanish flu pandemic lasted 2 years. I've heard 12-18 months as an estimate for how long it will take to develop a vaccine. It seems like this is going to affect this hiking season and next.
I've seen some vlogs from people in Europe that I follow off and on describing what amounts to vigilantism by panicked citizenry against people they feel aren't following the rules, as well as a very heavy handed approach by the actual police. If we see the number of cases and deaths continue to increase - and I'd be very surprised if we don't - I expect the same to happen in this country within the next 2 weeks.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

To clarify all of my previous posts. I'm just saying don't expect to legally go on any hiking or other outdoor activities. I'm not commenting on whether that is right or wrong. Just be prepared to watch a lot of outdoor videos rather than getting out there yourself.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Here's an announcement from the PCTA about trips this year:
Please postpone or cancel your Pacific Crest Trail plans due to COVID-19.

March 19, 2020

As reported cases of COVID-19 continue to increase, many people have put their PCT trips on indefinite hold. Many others are currently on the trail, heading north on their thru-hikes.

Because no one can travel long distances on the PCT and be certain of avoiding any exposure to the coronavirus, and because anyone at any time can be a carrier of the virus without knowing it, it is clear that anyone traveling the PCT and resupplying in communities along the trail represents a serious risk to others on the trail and people in those communities—particularly high-risk individuals for whom the virus could be deadly.

Under these circumstances, choosing to travel to—and start or continue—a journey on the PCT runs counter to widely-accepted medical, government, and scientific recommendations for not only avoiding exposure to the coronavirus, but also for limiting the spread of COVID-19. For more information please see the CDC’s information on COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

We recognize that many have planned their PCT journeys for years and made major life changes such as quitting jobs or selling homes. We also understand that some have traveled to the PCT and have no clear option aside from starting your trek. But these circumstances should not justify putting other lives at risk. Limiting the spread of the virus—and the associated economic fallout—requires sacrifice from everyone.

Because of the above, and in recognition of the increasing burden that healthcare and other vital services in trail communities will bear in treating their general populations, the PCTA asks all those who are already on the trail—as well as those waiting to start—to cancel or postpone your journeys. The choice is no longer only personal, but one of social responsibility. We all must do everything we can to get beyond this pandemic as quickly as possible.

Primary administrative authority for the PCT lies with the U.S. Forest Service and not with the PCTA, so to be clear, the trail is open and if you have received a long-distance permit it is still valid at this time, but PCTA requests that you postpone or cancel your plans.

Thank you for your support and commitment to avoiding risk to yourselves and others. This is an unprecedented, rapidly evolving, and difficult situation for us all. We will be constantly assessing conditions in the coming weeks and notify you if anything changes.
https://www.pcta.org/please-postpone-or ... -covid-19/
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

From my post on thread page 5, the actual comprehensive text of the 6 county SFBA order that all following state and national orders followed from on below link. Note there is nothing, nada, in the order stating one needs to only do so locally or in the same county or that one cannot drive somewhere to do so or that one can only do so for some limited period. I linked that on a few web forum websites threads where no one has been a to show otherwise. Read it yourself below. Or watch a news site video link of the original Newsome statewide declaration in which he deferred details to the SFBA order.

That is not to say some of those in some places are doing so inconsiderately as several news sites have shown and as a result places like Moab, Yosemite, and some Southwest areas have been shut down as bro culture driven from social media then swarmed into those areas acting irresponsibly. For that reason those considering doing such ought to be aware if groups of outdoor enthusiasts continue to ignore the social distancing and other recommendations that the government will shut it all down and the rest of we citizens will suffer due to policy necessary to stop the lowest common denominator.

Some authorities are making input to media in ways to discourage such outdoor activity, obviously because they fear the many Homer Simpsons will use it as an excuse to drive off to visit friends and relatives at a distance and along the way stop as usual for gas, restroom use, and snacks doing stupid the way they always do. There are of course many of we hikers that can easily drive off self sufficient without needing to stop for anything except gas. And pumping gas can be done safely as I've mentioned in posts earlier.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/16/ ... nties/amp/

10. Definitions and Exemptions.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

I'm fortunate to live in a place with tons of open space and hiking trails, so there's been a tiny silver lining during these uncertain times. But I have never seen as many people out on trails as I did this weekend. On the hidden trails where I generally never see a soul, I was running into locals and having a lot of "It's strange to see someone else out here" conversations. The more well-known trails where I normally expect to see a handful of people were dystopian zoos. There were hordes of people hiking in huge groups, which I don't understand under normal circumstances, yet alone during a pandemic. I saw more than a couple moms pushing strollers side by side, and got greeted by a few dogs off-leashes. Hell, even all the local surf breaks were packed despite an absence of swell, and surfers have always been awful in granting personal space. It seems like the kind of people that would normally spend their weekends at the mall, movies, or places of that nature are now hitting the trails and beaches.

This is all to say, I don't see this problem getting better any time soon. It took the virus hitting the U.S. before people here started paying attention, and it's going to take people's loved ones and friends getting infected before they start taking it seriously.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

SSSdave wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:59 pm From my post on thread page 5, the actual comprehensive text of the 6 county SFBA order that all following state and national orders followed from on below link. Note there is nothing, nada, in the order stating one needs to only do so locally or in the same county or that one cannot drive somewhere to do so or that one can only do so for some limited period. I linked that on a few web forum websites threads where no one has been a to show otherwise. Read it yourself below. Or watch a news site video link of the original Newsome statewide declaration in which he deferred details to the SFBA order.

That is not to say some of those in some places are doing so inconsiderately as several news sites have shown and as a result places like Moab, Yosemite, and some Southwest areas have been shut down as bro culture driven from social media then swarmed into those areas acting irresponsibly. For that reason those considering doing such ought to be aware if groups of outdoor enthusiasts continue to ignore the social distancing and other recommendations that the government will shut it all down and the rest of we citizens will suffer due to policy necessary to stop the lowest common denominator.

Some authorities are making input to media in ways to discourage such outdoor activity, obviously because they fear the many Homer Simpsons will use it as an excuse to drive off to visit friends and relatives at a distance and along the way stop as usual for gas, restroom use, and snacks doing stupid the way they always do. There are of course many of we hikers that can easily drive off self sufficient without needing to stop for anything except gas. And pumping gas can be done safely as I've mentioned in posts earlier.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/16/ ... nties/amp/

10. Definitions and Exemptions.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.
An order of the State Health Officer does not follow that of any particular county health officer; it trumps it. You can find the link to the State Health Officer's Order reguarding CoVid-19 at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... v2019.aspx
What they say in the FAQs that are linked on the same page can easily change. What a county health officer says matters not at all if the State says otherwise. All of the orders of the County Health Officers, including the one you are quoting above, no longer apply. Expect the numbers of newly infected and dead to increase daily, and expect the State Health Officer at the direction of the Governor to take a more strict stand on what is allowed.