Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Corona Virus

Post by SSSdave »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 pm An order of the State Health Officer does not follow that of any particular county health officer; it trumps it. You can find the link to the State Health Officer's Order reguarding CoVid-19 at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... v2019.aspx
What they say in the FAQs that are linked on the same page can easily change. What a county health officer says matters not at all if the State says otherwise. All of the orders of the County Health Officers, including the one you are quoting above, no longer apply. Expect the numbers of newly infected and dead to increase daily, and expect the State Health Officer at the direction of the Governor to take a more strict stand on what is allowed.

You obviously read what is on your link that has a few sub-links to details. I looked at all of them and read nothing that is any different than what I already posted. If you see otherwise please point to whatever. What your link shows:

-------------------------
https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except ... ial-needs/

Outdoor recreation
Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block? Walk my dog?
Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.
Does this order affect hiking? State Parks?
No, you may still go outside so long as you practice social distancing of six feet. California State Parks have closed indoor facilities and campgrounds, but trails and outdoor spaces are still open. Spending time outdoors can lead to a number of overall health and wellness benefits like lessening anxiety, boosting creativity and getting your vitamin D. If you decide to make a trip, remember to keep social distance.
For information on National Parks, please visit their website here.

-------------------------

Am guessing you already knew that I was correct and am really just trying to stop all the Homers from getting out there because as both of us are aware of, there are many that are not acting responsibly. I can understand that motivation, it is commendable, and you are not alone doing so. Where we differ is I have always had a strong dislike for media manipulation and lying to the public, particularly from politicians, as though it is ethical if its for the public's own good as they see it. Manipulation like what we heard a few weeks earlier about how viral masks were useless people so don't wear them. That stupidity backfired miserably as the New York Times story later explained. I also sadly expect that the inconsiderate, ignorant, stupid, Homers will continue to dismiss the order and government agencies will continue to shut down natural areas that is unfortunate for the majority that can act responsibly as the lowest common denominator behaviors in society again take away freedoms of all.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Below is something I posted at other website communities:

------------------------------------
Last night (few days ago now) for $38 total, ordered from amazon two air filter filtretes with 1000 square inches of MERV 12 level filter fabric that can be used to make face masks. I cannot sew but do have a hot glue gun and as someone in hw electronic engineering over decades and a long time backpacker that often modifies gear, have talent for creating things that I plan to work on. There are numbers of youtube videos on making masks. There are no masks available in local stores nor will there be in the coming couple months of this crisis.

One of the most important things individuals can do to keep from contacting or spreading the virus is to be safer when we go to supermarkets for food. Very very few probably have all the perishable food they will need over even the following month, thus will need either to order via delivery or visit stores. Each day there are more and more people also at stores that may be infected so if one is still going to stores, it is most important to reduce possible contagion.

Even without a mask one might use heavier denser cotton weave fabrics wearing such like a face scarf while inside stores, wear blue Nitrile disposable gloves to push open doors, push carts, handle goods, put a small hand sanitizer bottle in one's pocket that can clean with a dab that finger tip one used on the checkout counter pad, and use a small Ziplock seal plastic bag to put anything touched like car keys, credit card, and returned change an infected person may have just minutes before given to a cashier in order to transport from store to vehicle.

Another idea is to have a small plastic container with a lid always in one's vehicle filled say 2/3 full of soapy water that one can dunk such small hard items possibly contaminated in a store into, and then shake with lid on, that will instantly dissolve the outer membrane of the coronavirus, killing it. Better fully immersing such 3D objects than using say wiping with sanitizer. One will also need a small container of dishwater detergent, a small towel to dry off the items, and water containers in one's vehicle to replenish when necessary. Note the blue Nitrile gloves though disposable can also be reused by at home dunking them into soapy water, rinsing, and then drying. Also it is easy to see if they have developed holes as one can simply fill them with water while rinsing, watching for leaks.

Gloves, hand sanitizer, paper towels, should now always be in one's vehicle for handling gas pumps. It is nonsense at this point to be throwing away masks because guidelines say one use only and instead the outside might be occasionally sprayed with a proper sanitizer just as some hospitals are now doing.
---------------------------------
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Dave, don't forget the kleenex boxes for your feet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Something we should all considering before heading into the backcountry:
Do Not Take Part in High-risk Outdoor Activity in Inyo County

INYO COUNTY, CA, March 21, 2020 - The Inyo County Sheriff's Office, on behalf of Inyo County Search and Rescue (SAR), requests that people do not take part in high risk outdoor activities at this time. Activities include backpacking, climbing, peak bagging, backcountry skiing, or anything that puts you at risk for potential rescue.
If you get sick, lost or injured and require SAR assistance, the responding team of volunteers will have to break social distancing and State mandated isolation by sharing rescue equipment, radios, and vehicles. You will be potentially taking those rescuers out of service for weeks due to post-mission quarantine protocols. In addition, many SAR teams, including ours, are operating at a diminished capacity due to many members self-isolating and not responding to operations due to age or other risk factors.
Your preventable backcountry injury will also stress ambulance and emergency room services. It is highly unlikely helicopters are available to assist in your rescue. Inyo County Sheriff's Office DOES NOT own or operate any air assets, and our allied agency helicopters are currently operating at a very limited capacity.
The public can access the complete Inyo County Order, issued March 20, 2020 at: https://www.inyocounty.us/…/fil…/2020-0 ... 0.20_0.pdf.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Silence. Well, relative silence. Nearby, Steller's jays and woodpeckers chatter in the trees. Off somewhere in the distance, there is a call from a peregrine falcon, the distinct croak of a raven, and the faint roar of Bridalveil Fall.

The sky is colorless, faint clouds hovering over the valley walls. A few light drops of rain fall on an empty parking area, an empty sidewalk. Millions of people from around the world have stood there in wonder, taking in a view like nothing else they've ever seen. Countless friends and families have gathered together to take photos, the memories made even better when shared with loved ones. For many, this has been the beginning of a life-changing experience, a cherished memory played over and over. Now Tunnel View is quiet, and it's almost eerie.

We look forward to the return of normalcy, or something close to it, when this place is bustling with people; once again moving, challenging, and inspiring those who visit. Until then, Yosemite will be here waiting for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Here's the latest in the Bay Area from the San Mateo County Health Officer:

This posted yesterday from the San Mateo Country Health Officer:

"As I write this, I am both immensely grateful and exceedingly disappointed. We are in a grave crisis. I believe the virus is growing at an exponential rate in our county. Unless everyone does their part and follows the County’s Shelter-in-Place order and the Governor’s Safer at Home order, we will be facing an Italy-type catastrophe very soon. These orders are not recommendations, they are rules to be followed. My disappointment stems from the fact that many people just aren’t taking this seriously and going about their business as if nothing has changed. Our world has profoundly changed in an instant. It is now up to you all, the community, to decide what you want your future to be. If you decide you want to do your own thing and follow your own rules, you disrespect us all. You spit in our face, and you will contribute to the death toll that will follow. For those of you who say: “nobody tells me what to do,” now is a time to make an exception. You can go back to being ornery in the future."

And this:

"For families in different households, do not mix your households at this time. As hard as this is, do not gather in any way outside of immediate households. As for outdoor exercise, people certainly need to get out, but do this in your own immediate neighborhoods. Do not drive except to provide or obtain an essential service. Do not go into other neighborhoods for recreation. This increases the risk of virus spread. Always maintain social distance. Wash your hands frequently and follow all the other recommended actions."
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I'm 56, but look a lot older. I was walking on one of my local trails last week, one that's about 10 feet wide (fire/service road). A group of young men who had moved their gym workout outdoors when the gyms closed, and was taking up the whole width of the trail as I was visibly trying to stay 6 ft away, spat towards me and told me to go stay inside or I deserved to die.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Charming. Hope you reported them...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963