Bearing the cost of Rescue

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bearing the cost of Rescue

Post by rlown »

https://www.lovethebackcountry.com/get- ... ce-summer/ a little light reading about insurance..
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bearing the cost of Rescue

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

This summer I witnessed a CHP helicopter extraction from Chamberlain Lake (above Florence). The man in need was going into a diabetic coma because he hiked into the wilderness and neglected to bring insulin. He knew this before he left the trailhead and proceeded anyway.

The CHP officer that lowered for the rescue waited while they flew the patient down to Shaver. He informed me that if you need a helicopter rescue in the Sierra, that you should do everything you can to make sure you get a ride from the CHP the entire way. If you pay taxes in California, then the ride comes at no charge to you.

I suppose I can relate to arguments on the spectrum of choices here, but I'd like to think that a smart, enlightened society can plan for and bear the costs of rescuing those in need. I waver when hear stories of those who make decisions despite plenty of information that it is the wrong choice.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.