Yosemite evicts employees amid park closure

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite evicts employees amid park closure

Post by rlown »

An estimated 90 shuttle bus drivers and Yosemite National Park transportation workers who were laid off after the park closed to visitors in March are now facing eviction.

The group of Yosemite Hospitality workers were told this week layoffs require them to leave Yosemite by May 21, the Fresno Bee reported Friday.

These are the first reported Yosemite evictions solely because of layoffs caused by the coronavirus pandemic and they come in spite of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order calling for a statewide moratorium on evictions through May 31, the newspaper reported.
More at the link below:

https://ktla.com/news/dozens-of-laid-of ... oratorium/
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite evicts employees amid park closure

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I thought that California put a moratorium on evections?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

MountainMinstrel wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 am I thought that California put a moratorium on evections?
I read somewhere that it doesn't apply in this case because the housing was connected to the job.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I think the NPS is also a federal institution not governed by state orders.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:50 am I think the NPS is also a federal institution not governed by state orders.
There is also the policy of good will, cooperation, and trying to be a good neighbor with the state policies.

Not sure how any of this makes sense. There is a lot of 'shooting from the hip' without stopping to think. Then the recommendations change again.

We had one Forest Service boat ramp closed with barriers when the stay home order started, then within 48 hours the FS opened the ramp after public protests, then a few weeks later announced it was closed again, without barriers or enforcement (so officially closed but no one cares or is checking).

:confused:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=