Covid 19- "Thank you for your opinion"

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Covid 19- "Thank you for your opinion"

Post by SSSdave »

Over almost all the rest of California (Riverside County mandatory), masks are not required when outdoors walking, jogging, bicycling, hiking so a whole lot of people will be suspicious of the actual agenda of Garcetti.

It is rather obvious at this point that one is not likely to catch coronavirus outdoors when just momentarily passing others that are contagious, otherwise large numbers of people would be getting sick as was earlier expected but has not happened. Some of us have noted that several times. The original March China stats study showed almost no one seemed to have caught it outdoors, but at the time that was suspect so authorities rightfully began the lock down with a broad brush approach.

What is clear now entering into June, is people are becoming infected from being in confined indoor areas with infected people, especially over longer periods. That is why few are becoming sick from visits to supermarkets where almost all of us have been going despite many there without masks or safe habits. As has been explained, it is about being exposed to a viral load over time just like with influenza and other respiratory viruses. What that shows is a person with a healthy immune system requires breathing in thousands to millions of virus to have a chance of being sick that immune systems otherwise take care of.

So why did the mayor and then county adopt the "everyone outside" must wear masks even though that isn't backed by science? Well they were getting desperate mid May as LA's growing cases and deaths became a national news story with political implications. Because they realized there are far too many though a minority, that do not want to use masks or are too ignorant or too stupid, that will use the few exceptions to not by simply excuses like "I'm on an exercise walk". Obviously anything blocking breathing while respiratory volume is higher during exercising will lead to a lack of adequate oxygen. So yeah yet another dumbed down, one size fits all, lowest common denominator, approach. Since they admit it won't be enforced, I would personally ignore it just as I did when authorities in early March were all saying not to wear masks that I didn't need some politician to dictate whether masks had or did not have value.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

CentralCalHiker wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 pm Isn't that why we go to the Sierra - to get away from the filth of society?
You must be a blast at parties....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

TahoeJeff wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 am
CentralCalHiker wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 pm Isn't that why we go to the Sierra - to get away from the filth of society?
You must be a blast at parties....
I don't go to parties :lol:
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

SSSdave wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:10 am Over almost all the rest of California (Riverside County mandatory), masks are not required when outdoors walking, jogging, bicycling, hiking so a whole lot of people will be suspicious of the actual agenda of Garcetti.
Just a point of correction. The public health officer here in Riverside County did extend the mandatory mask order through mid June, but the County Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 to overrule him. So there's no longer a county mandatory mask policy here. This was a few weeks ago.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Rules without consequences or enforcement, are merely suggestions.

Shaver lake is a great example. SCE closed the lake to ALL recreation back in March with a continuance of that closure on April 30th. Permanent gates were installed at the boat ramps to close them off. Parking lots and turn outs were taped off but by the beginning of May, people ripped down the tape and parked anyway so that they could fish, swim, kayak, BBQ and recreate at the lake. I called the Forest Service when inquiring about another area the beginning of May and was told "Shaver is supposed to be closed. I'll find out what is going on and will call you back." When she called back, she said "SCE has no way of enforcing the recreation closure but boats are still prohibited due to the launch areas being closed."

I have heard that SCE might lift the recreation closure and re-open Shaver (the launch ramps) on June 4-5 but the campgrounds will still be closed.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Jimr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 am I'm sitting with a rifle next to me, so 10 people on top of a ridge seems insignificant.
Business owner in a city?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

If you're gonna get it, so be it. It isn't going away and the masks won't save you.. Bring it.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've been hiking the last three weekends and have yet to see a mask on anyone including myself once I left the trailhead.

You don't have to be a business owner to be concerned about your safety these days. I've been sleeping with a pistol on top of my nightstand lately also.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Stay on topic please!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Maskless, except for Vons in Mammoth Lakes. And most of Bishop and mammoth lakes requires masks.
At vons, they have one way through the illes.. not sure why.. I didn't even see the markers. Markskor did. I ignored them. In and out.

Worse things to die from IMO.