Snow Nymph?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Nymph?

Post by giantbrookie »

Gary, Eric

Thanks for the clarification. Like many of us at Topix I wish Snowy the best. Her posts were informative and exuded such a positive, enthusiastic spirit and Topix is not quite the same in her absence. One way or another I'm glad to hear she's still doing what she loves doing the most, and I'm sure that's what she was doing somewhere in the Pine Creek area when I saw her FJ at the TH on July 28. Anybody out there who communicates with her via FB please pass my best regards to her and my best wishes for her continued happiness in the Range of Light.

Cheers,

John
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Yes, that was me at Pine Creek Roadend. I was backpacking last week. I started backpacking again last summer and am enjoying it again. I’m also fishing now. Caught 61 (small) trout and brookies during the 6 days out (got skunked 2 days and hiked out the last day). Still peak bagging, and doing a lot of solo trips these days since most of my friends still work.

I had PTSD after I was attacked in 2009 by a friend. He flipped out and strangled me to death (I was out ~12 min) til he moved my body to my FJ. From what I last saw just before it happened, he wasn’t himself and his eyes were weird. Then he strangled me til I passed out. He was sobbing and sorry “for killing my best friend” when I woke up. He moved my body and when I hit the bed I coughed and started fighting but I was not on the desert floor where everything closed in and went black. I thought I was dead, so we talked and cried together. I forgave him then for what I believe led him to doing what he did to me. When I drove away an hour later, I realized I was alive and got scared. I called BobR and he took me to the hospital, and the next morning found out my friend shot himself. Then in 2012 I had a scuba diving incident (Immersion Pulmonary Edema, underwater instead of high altitude) where I had to be resuscitated and hospitalized for a week. In 2013 a 500 lb boulder rolled over me and and had to be helo'd out. I used my SPOT for the first time (broken clavicle, fractured hip and ribs) so another recovery. So long story short, it took a few years to get back to where I am now. I still have my moments but I’m doing well now.

I remember being confused about a lot of things, such as my passwords to get on the sites that went to. So I dropped all the sites and Scott got me to join Facebook. I haven’t been back to any other sites til now. I started maintaining my SmugMug because my computer is running out of space. So I’ve been updating and deleting so my computer doesn’t crash, plus COVID kept me close to home. I live in Mammoth now so I was able to sneak out to uncrowded places for exercise. Life is good!

Thanks for thinking of me!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Holy smokes those are pretty horrific experiences. The only one I remember hearing about (because you posted it) was the boulder accident on Virginia Peak which hit close to home because I had climbed around there with my brother in 2001.

I am very glad to hear you are back hiking in and enjoying the High Sierra--and fishing too! Welcome back! I look forward to hearing about your most recent adventures soon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Wow, you had several terrifying experiences. Glad you "got back on the horse" and are doing better now. Welcome back!!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

I'll second the preceding posts. Wow! And, then there's this virus. Anyway, it's great to hear that the trajectory is positive after all that turmoil. I still very much appreciate some of the advice and insight you offered back when you were a regular here: it'd be great if your posts started popping up again!
Cheers, Cameron
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

I had forgotten some of the details about the first one, and completely about the scuba incident. Individually, and especially collectively, so...so much hardship to go through. Thank you so much for checking in to let us know you're doing well, Snowy! Such a positive attitude. Inspiring as always.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

I wish her well and I also miss her posts. Thank you Snow Nymph for all your great trail reports. God Bless You Snow Nymph, I just re-read my post and found you just posted on this site. My fault for not reading everything. I understand what the internet or world wide wed can do to someone, thats why I will not talk about about my Boy Scout Troop Trips on the internet. HIKE ON !!! :)
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great to hear from you SN. Thanks for the update. Happy to hear that you are doing better.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

We crossed paths on Aug 1, @AlmostThere. My husband and I are friends with Robin (and Sooz - but haven't formally met you yet!)! We were heading in to Bear Lakes Basin when you were on your way out.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

astrogerly wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 am We crossed paths on Aug 1, @AlmostThere. My husband and I are friends with Robin (and Sooz - but haven't formally met you yet!)! We were heading in to Bear Lakes Basin when you were on your way ou@AlmostThere
Got a notification for the first time in a long time... That was not me. I was not hiking that weekend. Someone must be impersonating me....