Mt. Whitney Motel In Lone Pine

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Whitney Motel In Lone Pine

Post by maverick »

Hope no one from this board was staying or planning to stay here. Has anyone stayed at this motel before?

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
Around 4:30 this morning a big rig transporting hay crashed into the Mt Whitney Motel in Lone Pine, CA. North end of motel was fully engulfed in flames. Deputy Atkins (Inyo Sheriff) and two brave citizens pulled the driver out of the building that was engulfed in flames; the driver was transported to the hospital for treatment. Everyone was evacuated- unknown if there are injuries as of now. CHP is currently diverting traffic. CHP - Bishop is the lead agency for additional information. Thank you to all agencies for responding quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Whitney Motel In Lone Pine

Post by cgundersen »

Wow Mav, where doe you get these things? Yes, I stayed there once a long time ago, when the drive back to LA simply looked too bleak. I think it was in the 55mph days........for how some of those trucks "roll" along 395, it was probably safer? Cameron
milkfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by milkfish »

I stayed here in 2016 - not the nicest place in LP but nice enough for a stop over. It was run by a very nice Indian family. I hope they are able to repair/rebuild.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I passed by this incident as traffic was being rerouted around it through Lone Pine. The hay was still being swept up and I couldn't see the truck. I didn't know it had crashed into the Mt. Whitney Hotel. I thought a hay truck had overturned. I never stayed there. I usually stay at the Best Western Frontier Inn on the south side of town after I've made the long drive from Tucson and headed north. I hope no one at the inn was hurt.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Holy moly !
CarolineMay
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by CarolineMay »

Oh wow, that's quite an unfortunate incident at the Mt. Whitney Motel in Lone Pine. I hope everyone involved, especially the driver, is okay and recovering from this scary situation. It's good to hear that Deputy Atkins and those brave citizens were able to rescue the driver.
It's moments like these when we truly appreciate the quick response and efforts of our local agencies. Let's hope that there are no serious injuries and that the affected individuals get the support they need.In the meantime, if anyone ever plans to visit or stay in Dallas in the future, I'm here to offer recommendations on the best places to stay in Dallas.