What Laughable Thing is, or was, in Your Pack?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

What Laughable Thing is, or was, in Your Pack?

Post by Harlen »

I like robertseeburger's idea for this post. From his recent trip to the Mono Creek/Pioneer Basin area when he shared his giant aluminum pot with us, and said:
In any event, this could be a separate post.."what equipment do you carry that everyone laughs about?". This would be mine.
I propose we open this topic up to our past packs too, to see how outrageous our past behavior may have been... did anyone else bring a kite to fly on the passes? :nod:
Thanks for the fun idea Robert,; and can you please include that Pot photo again? Cheers, Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: What Laughable Thing is, or was, in Your Pack?

Post by rlown »

A bottle of Taittinger champagne and a watermelon. Enjoyed both at 4th of July lake back in '78.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

One of our regulars decided to sit out this year's trip. He's never missed a trip.

I printed a full-size photo of his face, pasted it to foam core, cut it out and glued it to a handle. We'll be trading off taking photos with his face held up in front of ours.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

That's great Russ-- the full glass bottle too? I'm a bit concerned that you may have been underage for drinking in '78. Wasn't that about the year you graduated High School?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We had connections..

We actually did that twice. Once from Carson pass and then from Salt Springs up into Moke. On the latter trip we also brought pate' and waverly crackers. We were young. We found one of those big holes in the granite next to the river that we cleaned out, heated some rocks and made our own hot tub.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

:unibrow: I don't know Russ, underage drinking in the wilderness, I hate to think of what some of you may have done-- lit the forest on fire, jumped into lakes with no clothes on?! A wise man once said to me*:
... but rules are rules and they are there for a reason, regardless of the season.
rlown.

*I only break laws to help the poor:
carl book 033.JPG
Busted in SEKI? Poor Bearzy.

Does packing pets count? Wolfie in our converted kid-pack always gets a laugh. Here's Carleton carrying him down the sharp rocky trail after Wolfie's climb of Red Slate! * fishmonger packs a stuffed animal!

IMG_1015.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Had the permit. Everything in the pack.. No rangers there except for Ranger rick. We met him twice.. He took great care of the Moke.
Just wanted to see the permit and then ask about the huge pile of cattle bones near Summit City..
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Speaking of Robert's old aluminum pot, I went on a quick family overnighter in Mineral King this past weekend and was amused to see a similarly beat-up old aluminum pot that my dad pulled out of his pack. He said he's had it since the 70's as well. Works great for water duties.

My wife carries a lightweight gardening trowel for digging catholes. I tease her about it, but she insists that the efficiency in excavating dirt over using a sharp-edged rock (my usual go-to) makes it totally worth the few extra ounces.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

Back in the summer of '69, btwn High School and first year of college, I hiked from Onion Valley to Mt Whitney with a couple of friends. I carried a hatchet the whole way. I've learned a few things since then....
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Carne_delMuerto wrote:
One of our regulars decided to sit out this year's trip. He's never missed a trip.

I printed a full-size photo of his face, pasted it to foam core, cut it out and glued it to a handle. We'll be trading off taking photos with his face held up in front of ours.
That's a great effort. I hope your friend isn't in on this, and will be surprised when you send him the photos.