California Wildfire and Forest Resilience Plan

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

California Wildfire and Forest Resilience Plan

Post by dave54 »

Hot off the press

https://wp_medialib.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/13113440/californiawildfireandforestresilienceactionplan.pdf

My take. Long overdue, but I am not optimistic. It will require a substantial continual and ongoing annual financial commitment from both the state legislature and Congress. Neither has a good track record of keeping promises for appropriations, especially for a (national) low priority like California's fire problem. Limited funds and lot of higher priorities face Congress.

The 25% annual increase of national forest harvest levels will not sit well with many people (400 MMBF to 500 MMBF). Science has been solidly behind increasing harvest levels for decades, but meets political resistance. Besides, California does not currently have the mill capacity to handle the increase. It will take several years for the harvesting infrastructure to catch up.

I am heartened CalFire has said they will begin allowing some fires to burn, like the feds have for decades. However... as CalFire protects mainly private lands, how will the private landowner feel about it?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=