Why carry a firearm in wilderness if it can't be discharged?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Why carry a firearm in wilderness if it can't be discharged?

Post by Jimr »

My guess would be for those who are carrying in their pack, they are not worried about what may happen on-trail. Their concern is what may happen in-camp. I've heard a couple of stories, but I'm not at liberty to share them.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I rarely carry anymore unless hunting. That mode becomes obvious as an 8" scoped Redhawk revolver and a 7mm rifle is outside the pack.
Archery just opened up. Almost time to put on the orange again. My focus is currently on Stampede res, Plaskett meadow near 162 and Trinity. Once I can hike again.
DaveF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by DaveF »

One answer to the question might be that not all trips in the SEKI wilderness start or end in SEKI. Pass-through hikers who carry can do so legally, even if they can't discharge while in the park. Non-gun owner here, so doesn't appeal to me, but it's clear from other responses here that some do choose to carry while hiking. That might include some pass-through hikers.