Man killed by lightning on JMT

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Man killed by lightning on JMT

Post by bobby49 »

Lightning engineers will tell you that there is a _theoretical_ 60-degree cone of protection under some isolated high conductive object. However, there are so many variables that nobody can conduct a decent experiment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Back in the 80s a man was killed by lightning when taking shelter under a large rock along Bubbs Creek. overhanging rocks and shallow caves are not good places to take shelter. once spent a couple of hours huddled in my poncho leaning against a low rock, next to another ranger in Milestone Basin during a thunderstorm, figuring we were the lowest points in the area. During a lull in the storm we set up our tents and holed up for another couple of hours. Yes luck has a lot to do with it but picking the right spot lowers the odds of a bad consequence.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Funny thing Mike, some years back I had just signed the register on Sawtooth above Mineral King when all of a sudden the skies got dark. Shortly thereafter came the rain, thunder and lightning. I hustled off the peak with the intent to descend off the ridge the same way I came up but all hell was breaking loose around me so I went straight down as fast as I could until I got cliffed out. And even though I knew better, I did exactly the wrong thing and took cover in a shallow cave. Thankfully the storm passed about as fast as it arrived and I was able to tuck my tail between my legs and wander out of there.
In cave.jpg
clouds2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.