I (am going to) need a shower

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

I (am going to) need a shower

Post by westmatt »

Any suggestions on a good/clean place to buy a shower, somewhere between Bishop and Lone Pine? Not sure I'll be able to stand the smell of myself on the drive home.

thanks
-Matt
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I (am going to) need a shower

Post by rlown »

We just carry a gallon of water, a washcloth and a towel each, find a day use area, back up the truck, open the doors to shield us from anyone there who might be offended and wash off. Change of clothes and done.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

rlown wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 am We just carry a gallon of water, a washcloth and a towel each, find a day use area, back up the truck, open the doors to shield us from anyone there who might be offended and wash off. Change of clothes and done.
Yeah, standard practice is to leave that gallon jug on the dash of your car. Then allow the greenhouse effect to make a nice warm shower for you. :) Not as nice as a real shower, but cost & convenience is hard to beat.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

I usually use the gallon jug technique as well, but there are showers at the Chevron in Independence that were open a month or so ago. $7, bring your own soap, towels, etc.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Showers at the Chevron in Big Pine are $3.50 per token for 10 minutes. They aren't very clean. They were open in mid-July. They used to sell showers at the Wash Tub laundromat in Bishop, but they weren't earlier this year yet due to covid. Not sure if they ever opened up. The Hostel California (not very clean) and Eastside Guesthouse and Bivy (very covid-conscious) in Bishop used to sell showers; not sure since covid. Same with the hostel in Lone Pine. Keough Hot Springs has showers, with a sign saying they're "just for rinsing off." They might sell showers at their campground, not sure. The town park on the north end of Independence has single-stall bathrooms where you can lock the door and have a sink to yourself long enough to clean up.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks for the replies. I kind of forgot about the covid impact, unfortunately. I will just bring an old solar shower with me.

I appreciate the suggestions.

-Matt
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Get an Inyo NF map. Note where one can drive dirt roads to reach any of the several all year streams flowing from the Sierra Crest down canyons. Check out what is possible. Also hot springs. One needs to shower before using the public pool at the main Bishop park.

Over decades, especially along the Eastern Sierra in the Owens Valley, have been a hard core dispersed camping enthusiast. And just like in the back country I'm notorious for jumping in even ugly cold water most days. On our recent 4 night Mono Pass trip I jumped in waters 4 days. Because I also desert car camp late winters and early springs, I have a rather serious amount of water in my Forester including a 64 ounce clear fruit juice plastic bottle I drilled holes in an optional lid for. Standing along the dirty dinged up Subaru at 7pm of evenings, water flow out of that lid is fine indeed out in places like Death Valley.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Forgot about the Bishop pool; it was open in mid-July as well and I also got a shower there, but the hours are restrictive unless you're taking a rest day or something.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Whitney Hostel in Lone Pine was $10 a couple days ago - includes soap and towel
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com