Mysterious Deaths Near Hite’s Cove

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mysterious Deaths Near Hite’s Cove

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mysterious Deaths Near Hite’s Cove

Post by balzaccom »

I have done a number of trail crew projects in that area. Very sad news. And very odd. Hard to imagine what happened...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

"the family died of hyperthermia and possible dehydration due to excessive heat" - https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... rish-chung
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
ykill5
Topix Novice

Post by ykill5 »

This case is so bizarre. The article said they were found 1.5 miles away from their car ON the trail. The map does show ~2,000' climb to get back to the trailhead but it's just so odd that one of them wasn't strong enough to get up to the car and get help. They must have had an altered level of consciousness from the heat stroke and weren't thinking clearly. Tragic.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

My sister sent me a link to this story yesterday. Very strange indeed, especially the dog found dead too.

John
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Posted below on another board:

... Despite weird speculation of toxic algae and whatnot, I didn't see that. So now we know, and am not at all surprised, and am more surprised it doesn't happen more often with people hiking so. I have plenty of stories of groups without preparation or common sense I've met on their way up trails.

Much like history of tourists without understanding or experience or proper gear starting down most every day of summer from the Grand Canyon rim on the Bright Angel Trail festively despite warning signs following others down towards the Colorado River and getting into trouble. In this case, an obscure dirt road trailhead on a route down over 2100 feet to the barely flowing South Fork of Merced River at 1700 feet on a day with forecast temperatures over 100F degrees that likely reached 107F through a sun baked exposed sooty blackened wildfire landscape with little shade. Total distance of 8 miles with the hard part at the end hiking back up. Ok in April and May for those fit but not mid August not with... The dog may have stayed with the family until it was too weak because that is what loving pets do. All so sadly tragic.

"Investigators found an 85-ounce CamelBak-type backpack with the family, along with a small amount of baby formula in a bottle, some snacks, car keys, a child carrier backpack, and a cellphone, which the FBI is still looking at for more clues. Briese said there is no cell service in the area where they were found. He said they were wearing basic hiking attire, with shorts and tank-tops, but didn’t have hats, he said. They were not carrying a water filtration system. Briese said he’s not sure if the water in the CamelBak was bottled but that it appeared to be clean or tap water. “There was a small amount of residue (in the CamelBak), but basically empty,”

www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article255157607.html
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

ykill5 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 pm This case is so bizarre. The article said they were found 1.5 miles away from their car ON the trail. The map does show ~2,000' climb to get back to the trailhead but it's just so odd that one of them wasn't strong enough to get up to the car and get help.
I'd think hiking up a 2K, south facing climb when already in dire straits would make things worse. I'd think the answer is to soak your clothes, and lay down in the river or at least under some shade. Course, by the time you're cramping up & vomiting, you may also not be thinking straight.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Anyone know the breed of dog?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Aussie/Akita mix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Okay. A protective dog breed.