No more backpacking! What next?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: No more backpacking! What next?

Post by bobby49 »

Maybe that doesn't seem like your idea of a good time, but it might be a good time for the young punks out there who don't know anything unless it comes to them over their phone.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

When I first took my younger daughter backpacking, I carried everything (tent and food) and she only carried her own clothes and backpack. And we hiked about the same speed.

Now, if we go backpacking, she is carrying more weight than I do---and still leaving me in the dust.

That's a good thing. I keep looking for more things for her to carry 😂
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

balzaccom wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 am When I first took my younger daughter backpacking, I carried everything (tent and food) and she only carried her own clothes and backpack. And we hiked about the same speed.

Now, if we go backpacking, she is carrying more weight than I do---and still leaving me in the dust.

That's a good thing. I keep looking for more things for her to carry 😂
Thats funny I almost posted the same thing about backpacking with my son when he was little!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:31 pm But I am sad that I am not likely to be capable of returning to difficult to access places like Adair, Edna, Edyth, Crabtree, and other big fish lakes. During the past few weeks my mind keeps going back to my past trips and I marvel at what I used to be able to do and how good I felt doing it.
Like Mike above, there comes a time….the realization that one cannot do what was so easy to do before. Thankfully my memory bank is almost saturated with past grand adventures. Yosemite has always been my favorite...extensive wanderings...fished off-trail lakes a’plenty... from Hoover to Harriet, to Adair, to Benson, to Peeler... a lot of wilderness unseen by most.
Done the Muir multiple times, a small bit of the PCT too, Campo to Ashland...all mostly solo. BTW, If anybody asks, the best part of my Sierra lies between the two Kennedy Meadows.

Anyway, a few decades back, I had the misfortune to meet up with Mike, theOldranger here. We first met up below Edna…(he was late as usual). Stubborn, obstinate, sarcastic... flatulent, (obviously his pretty wife Kathy just wanted to get rid of him all summers.), we have since hiked together now for a very long time. Why? Who knows, especially as we both are solo artist bassholes. Maybe it is because he does know how to fish a little, enjoys/has access to all the pre-hike research on secret “Big Trout '' lakes, then anally plans everything to the most minute detail. He likes to lead and best of all, Mike is slow. Coincidently, I am lazy but I do know how to cook trout. Maybe it is because we mostly hike alone and he knows when to keep his mouth shut. Maybe it’s that we both have mutual respect and amazingly similar gear. Maybe it's the daiquiris,

It came to the point where I would just ask how many days this trip…(usually 15+)...and he'd pick me up all packed at the Curry Arch. Afterwards, maybe a few days rest up here home in Mammoth and then we would go out and do another of his planned secret adventures, and maybe one more trip after too. I never asked...just tagged alomg happily. This lack of planning on my part but getting to fish the most amazing lakes previously unknown lasted for over a decade, Undoubtedly the best hiking partner ever.

However, recently Father Time is winning...now have a hard time doing ~7 Sierra backpack miles when once could boast consecutive high 30’s. Getting old sucks.
Not being as dumb as I look, a few years back, finagled a summer-season job at the Tuolumne Store ...not a bad back yard. its location, a nexus of backpackers, dirtbags, and drive-throughs. All summer long, in the midst of all this “wilderness meets a store” alcohol and drug drama and trauma...seen it all... have learned a few things about most of the younger backpackers met out on the picnic tables...You can’t tell them anything...most already know it all.
Mike is right again - teaching any class on the subtleties of wilderness etiquette, to today’s youth (if previously unknown), would be tough...Not my idea of a good time.

pardon my ramblings,
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I currently teach classes at my local community college, and I want to put in a good word for the young people ( "today's youth") that I see in those classes. My students are bright, enthusiastic, full of questions and good faith efforts--and this at a time when teaching and learning are both suffering from the effects of the pandemic. I would love to teach a class of these young people on how to backpack...

Wait a minute. That's gives me an idea. Gotta go.
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

balzaccom wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:08 pm I currently teach classes at my local community college, and I want to put in a good word for the young people ( "today's youth") that I see in those classes. My students are bright, enthusiastic, full of questions and good faith efforts--and this at a time when teaching and learning are both suffering from the effects of the pandemic. I would love to teach a class of these young people on how to backpack...

Wait a minute. That's gives me an idea. Gotta go.
Paul, Those young people are there by choice as they signed up for it. I agree on the side of Mark that kids now a days "know it all" b/c of who they are and the internet. I took a backpacking (PE class) at CSUN in the late 70's as part of my curriculum; enjoyed it and learned a bit too. A w/e trip to Dinkey Lakes got scrubbed because of torrential rains. A Geography of California class with a 3 day Geography of the Owens Valley field trip. And to much scrutiny a Geography of Wine class... A night and a half of lecture and a half class tasting wines. Was not easy, had a textbook and exams. Learned a bit there too.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

austex wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:16 am
balzaccom wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:08 pm Those young people are there by choice as they signed up for it. I agree on the side of Mark that kids now a days "know it all" b/c of who they are and the internet.
I think that the more time you spend with young people today, the less likely you are to think this way about them. They are curious, They are smart, and they do question what you know---because they have alternative sources of information. And sometimes I learn from them, too!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy oldranger. A good friend who used to go out with me on trips also has the symptoms. He is younger than us and expected to be backpacking for several more years. He is frustrated by the fact that there seems to be no cause (therefore a way to fix it)- has had tons of tests and all say he is OK and should not have it, yet there it is, upsetting his life. He is slowly adjusting.

I still am envious of your fishing. Catch a big one for me!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

At 75, I'm beginning to look seriously at alternatives like the Yosemite High Sierra Camps and Bearpaw in SEKI.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mike started doing spot packing years ago. Could be a good solution as we age. Get into a basin, hang out for a week and get packed out.