No more backpacking! What next?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: No more backpacking! What next?

Post by markskor »

BSquared wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 am Mark, how far up Pine Creek did you actually go? I know that mules and horses go faster than people, but...
B-
They transported us up the Pine Creek trail to about Golden lake (10,000 ft), just past the Honeymoon Lake cutoff, a short hike was left up to the pass to the lower Royces that first night.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bsquared- the price you heard about the Upper Kern is possible. A horse cannot get to the Upper Kern in one day- two days minimum, maybe three. Interesting that I ran into a group of fishermen day-hiking in the Upper Kern from their base camp. The outfitters stayed with them, cooked, set up their camp, etc. They had ridden all the way up the Kern- probably a week to 10 day trip. I felt a bit sorry for them, because horses are not allowed above timberline, so their camp was quite low and their schedule did not even give them time to fish the really good lakes. They were also not inclined to go off-trail. So in my opinion, that kind of trip is not only expensive but a waste of time unless you just want to ride a horse, be waited on hand and foot, drink a lot of booze, have meals cooked for you and have enough money to throw it away.

Mark- I was not aware that there was a horse-worthy trail up to Golden Lake. That is good to know.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

oldranger wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:30 pm My hope is to drop dead on my last solo trip, get devoured by a bear, and end up as bear ****! :)

Seriously!

Mike
I agree. Unfortunately this situation most likely will not happen. Hopefully when it is my time I will die in the backcountry :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

How far the outfitter is willing to take you on a one day spot is completely dependent on the outfitter and the elevation gain involved. Generally about 9 miles is about the longest you can expect that means an 18 mile rt for the packer and stock. If you are getting packed up one of the e. side trips figure about 4,000 feet of vertical and however many miles that takes. The packer I have used in the Sawtooths will try to schedule a trip where he has to go to the same destination to pic someone up. Those trips got me in 12 miles into a lake basin with 4 fishable lakes with nice size cutthroats. This saved 1/2 the cost the trip would have otherwise cost. To find current costs google East Side Sierra Pack Stations and West side Sierra Pack Stations. Last I looked costs were about $250-300 for packer and horse and about 150 to 200 for saddle and pack animals. Each station is different as to who gets permit.

Having spent a lot of time in the saddle I prefer to just go and not stop for a break, most packers are the same. But most newbies want a break rather than toughing it out. One reason packers do not like to stop is that is when the horses and pack animals are most likely to get into trouble.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Add to the cost a well deserved tip.

My experience out of Pine creek was very positive and the Wrangler was personable and knowledgeable but I learned quickly that its not just sitting back and enjoying the ride. I came to the conclusion it was easier to just lighten up and walk over the crest.

The Golden Trout Wilderness is a different story and hopefully will visit again. When I do, I will hire GTW packers take me to the river. That country and its trails are tailor made for wrangling.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien