whats in your headphones?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: whats in your headphones?

Post by Jimr »

Steve Howe, Ragtime and Jazz/flamenco.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice Jim, You got me listening to old Yes favorites for a half hour there. I am going to make a guess that you also like the guitar playing of Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits? I found a cool live video of them which I'll link here below. There is an extended instrumental that runs from 4:50 to 10:42.
check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Getting back to taking music into the mountains, I would really love to know how to do it. What are the best and lightest gadgets? thanks to to the tech-savvy among us, cause it ain't me.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Wow Jim, I never knew of Steve Howe; great style. And of course Ian, Mark, I saw him 3 yrs ago here in Austin; MAN he can make that guitar SING! Great clips; thanks both.
I've always been a closet Leo Kottke fan, six and 12 string. Saw him in the 70's at the Santa Monica Civic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnQTC5ICGik
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

George Thorogood and the Destroyers Jimr? and Classical guitar.... you are an eclectic kind of guy. Lizzie found this guitar piece for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEmPmVWQJFM

He has some similarities to George Thorogood-- two arms, two legs, and they both play guitar.

p.s. I love them both; that "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer" song is an old favorite that used to make me laugh out loud in my youth!

p.p.s. I just checked out the video, and it's cool with Elvin Bishop playing along, "some of the funny lyrics are missing in this live version-- him asking the "good friend" if he can crash with him...
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Ditto what Harlen said about the Thorogood video. A great listen, the guy obviously has a good sense of humor. Always been a favorite tune.

In the late eighties I saw Elvin Bishop perform live at a local fair. It was a great show but the guy seemed a bit demoralized as it was the "free stage" he performed on.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

@Harlen
That's "Romance". I've been playing it for years. The first phrase is in E Major, Second phrase echoes the first, but is in E minor.
[edit]
I recognized it immediately, but then just now listened to it in full. I actually like how he does it very well and will change how I play it. He plays the first phrase twice, then the second phrase, then the first phrase again. Think about the title "Romance". Now think about E Major being the masculine voice and E minor being the feminine voice. He's professing, he's professing, she's responding, he's professing. A simple, yet eloquent piece.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Harlen wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:42 pm Nice Jim, You got me listening to old Yes favorites for a half hour there. I am going to make a guess that you also like the guitar playing of Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits? I found a cool live video of them which I'll link here below. There is an extended instrumental that runs from 4:50 to 10:42.
check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Getting back to taking music into the mountains, I would really love to know how to do it. What are the best and lightest gadgets? thanks to to the tech-savvy among us, cause it ain't me.
Ian I'm sure you've got a smart phone, just download whatever you want to bring with you into the backcountry. I've been listening to mostly podcasts while out in the backcountry personally. Since I'm mostly out by myself or with Clyde Monster I enjoy a nice podcast in the evening or even while pounding long trail miles. I even downloaded a nice video of knot tying to practice while sitting around camp.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.