That super old skatepark deep in the Sierras.

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: That super old skatepark deep in the Sierras.

Post by sparky »

Haha this is awesome....and something we did in deep corners of Utah a couple decades ago.

April 2014 while backpacking the north rim in yosemite I saw a guy with some sort of wheeled cart with suspension bounding down the trail. It seemed so alien I just stood there dumbfounded as I pulled over to watch him pass. First I thought he was on some sort of pogo stick. I am usually a smart ass but I had nothin to say to that one! About 5 seconds later I caught sight of something even more disturbing but it's off topic.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

That was awesome!!
Living On Kaweah Time
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

:thumbsdown:
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

sparky wrote: About 5 seconds later I caught sight of something even more disturbing but it's off topic.
C'mon Sparky! You can't tease us like that and not explain!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Ha! I shouldn't have said anything. Someone was going #2 in a most vile and disgusting way right off the trail. People, man.....People.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

sparky wrote:Ha! I shouldn't have said anything.
My bad, I shouldn't have asked!

:eek: :puke: :eek: :puke:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I skate several times a week, and I think two things: that was cool and I hope nobody else does that. :lol:

It's fun and cool to see it, just like that, but wouldn't be so funny to find 'thane lines and grind marks on rocks up there. A man could start thinking about making kindling in a situation like that... :unibrow:
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

The Velma Lakes trail from Bayview Trailhead. Cascade Lake in distance as they went down the use trail. Looks like were at Snow Lake.

I personally don't care if backcountry visitors play around on skateboards atop open granite slab bedrock areas in remote offtrail areas. Someone would likely complain however that is just a slippery slope away from allowing mountain bikers many of whom already would like to be able to ride on wilderness trails. The consensus of the more numerous backpackers and hikers would never go for that.

During the peak of the 60s surfing craze I lived a year in San Diego and all we teenagers had self built skateboards of that era. So understand the fun. I also am a long time snow skier so like such sliding sports and would be a surfer too if water wasn't so cold off our Northern California coast. For decades have thought about how it might be fun to skateboard down some of the wilderness bedrock slab areas. Big Lake's basin in Emigrant comes to mind. There are in any case areas where one can do this in non-wilderness national forest if one inspects topos. One excellent area is just downstream of Florence Lake reservoir.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... les-0.html
Timo_the_Osprey
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Timo_the_Osprey »

I suppose the naysayers are ultimately correct but hard to watch this video without smiling.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I'm glad you shared that. Thanks Jeff. Skating and fishing, lovely day.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.