Yosemite x-country route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Trekker wrote:GiantBrookie,

I was a geology student up at UOP in Stockton many years ago. Chances are you are familiar with some of the areas we had field trips and where I did my field geology course. Have you checked out Mountaineer's pics of the Carrizo Plain in the Campfire section? My first field trip!

Speaking of Bay Area, you are probably familiar with San Juan Bautista mission, and the fault line going through there. I once drove my motorcycle up a peak in that area called Fremont Peak; incredible views. Wonder what it's like these days? Seems like that would be a really cool hike. :nod:
Yes the Carrizo Plain photo is nice. The view of it from LA-SF flights is always stunning, too. Oddly enough I still haven't led a field trip there, even though it is not far from Fresno. Regarding San Juan Bautista, in addition to being astride the San Andreas fault, it also approximately marks the southern end of the part of the San Andreas that ruptured in the 1906 earthquake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
michaeljf
Topix Novice

Post by michaeljf »

The Bay Area has lots of great reasons to live here, but great mountain hiking ain't one of them. Though there are some nice areas (even Mission Peak at some times of the year), its more the coastal grasses with cows that drive me away. And driving away to the Sierras is best, though just too darn far to do more than a few times a year. Passed through Fresno a couple of times on the way to Sequoia. Probably didn't go through the best part of town. Now Bishop might be good. Small town, big mountains. I like that combination. Not likely a lot happening in the graphic design business out there, so that could be tough. How's the broadband coverage out there?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

michaeljf wrote:The Bay Area has lots of great reasons to live here, but great mountain hiking ain't one of them.
Certainly true. I enjoyed Bay Area hiking and Bay Area geology is very hard to beat, but "mountains" to me always (going back to the 60's and 70's of my childhood) meant (and always will mean) heading for the Sierra.

You know there is that famous Tibetan prayer you always hear about them chanting at the monasteries in the Himalaya that goes something like (I forget what it means)"Om Mani Padme Um". Well I've told my wife that in her times of discontent she should chant the following two words that define the most important advantage of living in Fresno vs the Bay Area:

"Sierra Nevada...........Sierra Nevada.............Sierra Nevada.......Sierra Nevada...." hopefully done while holding a pint of pale ale by the same name.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;