Yosemite in Dec 2014

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Yosemite in Dec 2014

Post by hjldennis »

Here is another video TR. Sorry for lack of written TR =)

Out of Badger Ski Area on the Christmas day last year. I think the ski area closed down shortly after our visit due to lack of snow. We probably went about 2 miles or so, just out of mileage restriction for camping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VRd4krnjQ
wandering outdoors and the universe
balance
Topix Regular

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Post by balance »

Thanks for the nice video. Brave kids!

Peace.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

This video confirms my dislike at the thought of snow camping. But your interiors looked cozy and a dinner of ramen and meat perhaps eased the chill of 7 degrees! The kids were troopers, even when he or she had to climb out of that snow slump twice. Thanks for posting.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Great video !! I've always wanted to spend christmas in the backcountry of Yosemite !!! Thanks for sharing
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Awesome! Great experience for the little ones (even if they don't know it yet :)

May I ask what type of tent you were using there?

Andrew
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

cefire wrote:Awesome! Great experience for the little ones (even if they don't know it yet :)

May I ask what type of tent you were using there?

Andrew
Andrew, the tent is Hilleberg Nallo4 GT. It's bit pricey and heavier than some of lighter 3 season tent, but it's really solid 4 season, and has a huge vestibule which is really nice especially during the winter. We take Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 during summer and this one the rest.
Last edited by hjldennis on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

SweetSierra wrote:This video confirms my dislike at the thought of snow camping. But your interiors looked cozy and a dinner of ramen and meat perhaps eased the chill of 7 degrees! The kids were troopers, even when he or she had to climb out of that snow slump twice. Thanks for posting.
I tried to make the video overly pleasant with the music and all, but I guess it didn't work lol. Seriously it was fun but my wife and I were pretty cold that night. We upgraded our bag to 0 degree quilt (enlightened equipment accomplice) and this year we had really cozy nights at dewey point in low teen. And we upgraded the kids' snowshoes with real one instead of kids ones, so no more falling in either haha
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

hjldennis wrote:Andrew, the tent is Hilleberg Nallo4 GT. It's bit pricey and heavier than some of lighter 3 season tent, but it's really solid 4 season, and has a huge vestibule which is really nice especially during the winter. We take Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 during summer and this one the rest.
Ah, thought it might be Hille but wasn't sure - thanks!